[SOLVED] how to reinstall windows with product key I paid for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2021
I have a dell inspiron 15 (3521) laptop. The HD crapped out on me. I bought a new one and proceeded to re-install windows 8.1 pro on it. During the re-installation, I was not prompted for the product key which I paid for several months back. I am worried that (like my desktop) all of a sudden I will get the message "product key expired". No matter what I have tried, i cannot get this new installation to accept the key I bought. Why?

Solution
I have a dell inspiron 15 (3521) laptop. The HD crapped out on me. I bought a new one and proceeded to re-install windows 8.1 pro on it. During the re-installation, I was not prompted for the product key which I paid for several months back. I am worried that (like my desktop) all of a sudden I will get the message "product key expired". No matter what I have tried, i cannot get this new installation to accept the key I bought. Why?
Reinstall on that same system should not incur any license issues

Does it currently report 'activated'?

USAFRet

Titan
Reinstall on that same system should not incur any license issues

Does it currently report 'activated'?

Solution
Nov 8, 2021
Ok, I found out what it was. I had used Belarc Advisor on the old hard drive to get the product key that I paid for. Then I installed the new drive and used an ISO from Microsoft to re-install what I thought was 8.1 Pro. Just after I posted the above issue, I went into settings and system ,and learned that the ISO had only installed 8.1 NOT PRO. I finally found the spot that I could enter the old product key and get my OS updated to PRO without issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.