Question How to release reserved RAM from 2400g integrated Vega GPU?

ketrab

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
I've got a unit (HP Pavilion Gaming) that came with dedicated GPU. Upon checking resource I see that 2GB is "reserved" for the Vega which will never be used.
I'm not familiar with HP BIOS so I thought I'll ask in the AMD community on proper disabling the Vega to have RAM released.
Only option in bios under PCI Graphic Configuration gives two options that are NOT clear to me. See below. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

k9w9schopt261.jpg

I've got a unit (HP Pavilion Gaming) that came with dedicated GPU. Upon checking resource I see that 2GB is "reserved" for the Vega which will never be used.
I'm not familiar with HP BIOS so I thought I'll ask in the AMD community on proper disabling the Vega to have RAM released.
Only option in bios under PCI Graphic Configuration gives two options that are NOT clear to me. See below. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

k9w9schopt261.jpg

Your assumption that it will never be used is false: anytime your PC is displaying something on the screen, memory is being used by your GPU (whether integrated or discrete) to display that information. There is no option to disable this as it would prevent your PC from functioning properly.

If having less RAM than you anticipated for the rest of your PC is causing you issues, you can always buy more RAM for your system.

ketrab

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Your assumption that it will never be used is false: anytime your PC is displaying something on the screen, memory is being used by your GPU (whether integrated or discrete) to display that information. T
if i'm using dedicated there is no point of integrated to be used and reserving ram. Throwing hardware at the problem is not the solution but last resort.