Question How to Remove Google Update Notice?

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
I have Chrome configured to not continually auto-update, but I'm still getting the following pop-up at load (which is supremely annoying). And I'd prefer not to see this every month or so (as I manually update the browser as needed):

L5jsLYu.png

Here is everything I've tried, but still can't get this one notice to stop (I was able to remove it from my other browsers, like Edge and Firefox):

1) Disabled the start-up entries in msconfig
2) Disabled all the Chrome update entries in services
3) No Chrome update entries in Task Scheduler
4) Renamed the Google Update folders in Program Files (86) by adding ".old" to the folder names (didn't find any such folder in the Users folder)
5) Block all the update.exe files I found in my BitDefender firewall.

But this annoying little friend still pops up each time. Anything else I can try?

Last edited:

accesscpu_

Honorable
May 7, 2019
There are some mitigating circumstances here I feel I should explain:

1) I do not browse the web outside a sandbox. Ever. And I have this set to clear/delete at each instance the browser is closed.

2) Chrome is not my primary browser. I use it as a backup, so it probably doesn't get opened but maybe one a month (and usually not even that much)

3) I find that Chrome and Firefox tends to push down updates every few weeks (multiple times a month). I've had instances where I did a fresh install, and two days later it was asking me to update again. Obviously I know why, because a minor update was added that they wanted to push down (not every single one is a critical security fix). Taking into account that I only use this browser one a month...this amounts to me needing to update the app EVERY TIME I load it. And that isn't something I'm interested in doing for a simple backup browser. I update manually, as needed.

4) I would also like folks to consider that if this wasn't control that others needed/wanted, their wouldn't be a multitude of articles on various sites showing you how to do it. Even Windows always you to pause updates/notices. I'm not saying that's a good idea, but having options is better than not.

5) Back on point...is there a way to remove this notice that keeps calling back the version number? That's really all I need.