Question How to remove heatsink from M.2 NVMe SSD ?

Oct 28, 2022
Hi, I have an M.2 NVMe SSD that has a thin heatsink placed on it, Im planning to get a thicker or "beefier" heatsink for it but it seems that the thin heatsink on it is hard to take off, Any Ideas on how to take it off? It seems like the thermal pad on it has latched itself on to the SSD's sticker.

Oct 28, 2022
I am confused, the Kingmax PQ3480 doesn't have any sort of heatsink or any sort of cooling solution.
Could you perhaps share a picture of your m.2 so we can understand your problem better?
Yes it doesn't have, I asked a question here before wether I should Take it off before placing the heatsink but someone suggested to not remove it as it voids the warranty so here I am stuck 😅

If the cover is, indeed removeable, it will be easiest to do by heating up the device first by running some sequential processes.

That said, I would not try to second guess the designers. See that there is sufficient airflow over the device.

If you must, there are heat sinks with added surface area designed to go on top of existing covers.

You could also call Kingmax support.

Reactions: Dj0gany

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
Do NOT remove any manufacturer's labels that come as part of an M.2 drive. As stated earlier, you will invalidate the warranty. Many of these labels include a thin layer of Copper foil to improve heat dissipation, even if you can't see it.

If you want a really large M.2 cooler (complete overkill) check this out:
https://graphicscardhub.com/best-m-2-heatsink/
You might not be able to fit your GPU after installing this heat sink.

ineo-M3-M.2-Dual-Cooler-Heatsink.jpg