[SOLVED] How to remove service tag from Dell BIOS? model: XPS L502X

Mar 3, 2022
I have a Dell XPS L502X model. I want to remove Windows 7 from it and install Linux but I just can't seem to boot from the USB drive. My question is if the registered service tag is causing the BIOS to neglect a foreign OS detection from the USB? Does this relate in any way? Seeking some help on this matter please. Thank you

Solution
This is a 2nd gen Intel system.. I don't think UEFI is part of it, just legacy BIOS. For their Desktop XPS 8300 systems with 2nd gen Intel, they didn't have UEFI, so I think it's likely the same with their laptops.

I think F2 is typically for entering the BIOS . . and there's a key to go into the boot menu - think F12. That should bring up a list of bootable devices, and allow you to choose which one you want regardless of what the boot priority in the BIOS is set to.
Mar 3, 2022
Well I don't have any option for Secure Boot here. It's the Phoenix SecureCore Tiano Setup BIOS. Of course I changed the boot priority to the USB but after restarting, it just exits out and loads Windows 7 every time. I've tried multiple distros so far.. it just won't boot in to the USB for Linux

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
This is a 2nd gen Intel system.. I don't think UEFI is part of it, just legacy BIOS. For their Desktop XPS 8300 systems with 2nd gen Intel, they didn't have UEFI, so I think it's likely the same with their laptops.

I think F2 is typically for entering the BIOS . . and there's a key to go into the boot menu - think F12. That should bring up a list of bootable devices, and allow you to choose which one you want regardless of what the boot priority in the BIOS is set to.

Solution
Mar 3, 2022
Initially I did the above, as you said, but wasn't working for me. I tried Kali, OpenSuse and Fedora..all failed to boot from USB. Zorin however seems to be working. It booted fine and I'm still installing it now. Wonder what the issue is with those distros..