How to remove 'System Reserved' partition from formatted SSD?

bgraham

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
I'm selling an SSD that I've completely formatted and removed Windows from but it still has the 'System Reserved' partition on it with no obvious way to remove this. Is there any way I can remove this and factory reset the drive? Thanks!

If you factory reset the drive, all partitions will be gone. You can go into disk manager and delete all partitions. You can download the free Partition Wizard to do it too.

What SSD do you have? Most SSD manufacturers have tools to download for their SSD's to do what you want to do.

bgraham

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

It's a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB and I've tried to use Samsung Magician but it recognises the SSD as a "ASMT 2115 SCSI Disk Device" so I basically can't do anything within that software as it's not recognised as a Samsung SSD. I went into disk management and have now deleted all partitions although I'm worried it isn't being recognised as a Samsung SSD. Is there any reason this would happen?

Is the SSD in an Intel port? The magician software does not work well with the SSD in a Marvel port. Something to do with the Marvel drivers.

EDIT:
This is from the Samsung web site:

SSD Magician is compatible with Samsung-branded SSDs only.
Magician does not support an OEM SSD product.
If you have a Samsung-branded SSD, check if the SSD is detected by the Windows device manager.
Your SSD should be detected as either an IDE or an AHCI device.
If not, installing the standard AHCI controller driver for Microsoft Windows may fix the problem.

bgraham

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

Hmmm, I've been using a usb port to format it and have connected it via SATA and it's not being recognised at all. Mine is definitely a Samsung branded SSD and when connected via usb in device manager it doesn't say a thing about AHCI or IDE, it's simply listed as ASMT 2115 SCSI Disk Device.

1. Connect the SSD as a secondary drive.

2. Access Disk Management to determine which disk contains the System Reserved partition you desire to delete.

3. On your boot drive invoke an Elevated Command Prompt. If you're using Win 8.1 right-click on the windows-style icon on the left bottom corner of your Desktop and click on the Command Prompt (Admin) option.

You'll be invoking the following commands from C:\WINDOWS\system32

PROCEED CAREFULLY - ENSURE THAT YOU SELECT THE CORRECT DISK & PARTITION INVOLVED.

1. Enter DISKPART

2. list disk
DISKPART will display all connected disks.

3. select disk 1 (This assumes that you determined from Disk Management that disk 1 is the disk containing the System Reserved partition that needs to be deleted)
"Disk 1 is now the selected disk."

4. list partition
DISKPART will display "Partition 1 Reserved 128 MB ..." or "Partition 1 Primary 100 MB" or similar entry.

5. select partition 1
"Partition 1 is now the selected partition"

6. del partition override
If successful, message will read "DiskPart successfully deleted the selected partition."

7. Exit DISKPART window.

Disk Management will now show "Unallocated" - no partitions for Disk 1.

Cliffxyz

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016

Glad to hear it all worked out for you but just curious to learn if you really waited more than a year to try this?