Question How to remove unusable Nvidia CPL link

MajorPager

Upstanding
Aug 8, 2023
I recently moved a hard drive from a tower to a laptop with Windows 7 on it and the tower had an Nvidia GPU in it but the laptop has Intel graphics. I uninstalled all of the Nvidia drivers and deleted some leftover files but the control panel link is still there. I tried looking for the CPL file but I didn't find it anywhere and a little research didn't do much. I don't know what to do besides link the Intel graphics control panel to that link and leave it.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah, I'll find em eventually.

I wanted to get the SSD out of the laptop that I put the drive in, and the desktop that the drive came out of I had parted out since it's got some damage.
Right. The physical drive is one thing. Keep it and use until it dies.

The OS on it is something different. Rarely does a swap like this work properly. Especially pre Win 10.

MajorPager

Upstanding
Aug 8, 2023
The OS on it is something different. Rarely does a swap like this work properly. Especially pre Win 10.
Agreed. I've done plenty of swaps going all the way back to Windows 98, the really old OS's aren't good at all at it, Even Windows 10 has refused to work a few times when I've switched main machines. I think it all has to do with what's installed on the hard drive for the newer OS's, and if not, then I couldn't tell ya why sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Forgot to mention it could be hardware related too.

USAFRet

Titan
Agreed. I've done plenty of swaps going all the way back to Windows 98, the really old OS's aren't good at all at it, Even Windows 10 has refused to work a few times when I've switched main machines. I think it all has to do with what's installed on the hard drive for the newer OS's, and if not, then I couldn't tell ya why sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Forgot to mention it could be hardware related too.
And that is why you shouldn't be married to a particular "install".

Just have your data ready, and applications ready to install with a new OS in a new system.

This moving around is far too much PITA.