How to remove windows 7 and replace with windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

kountryking

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I have a ten-year old Gateway PC. I had a crash and a local tech cleaned it up and installed a Spanish version of Windows XP Professional on the smaller C:/ drive. That's fine for my son whose first language is Spanish. On the larger D:/ drive, I upgraded to an English language Windows 7 Home Version. The problem is that although Windows' analysis for the upgrade okayed it, there is just not enough memory to power it. A major pain is that I can't change the screen resolution and some pages open too large for the screen such that I can't even get to the X or a Close button and have to use another method to get out of the page.

I have two Windows XP discs and would like to replace the Windows 7 with Windows XP on my D:/ drive. Before I try to figure it out myself and do something stupid like formatting the D:/ drive, I'd like some advice. The two drives seem to be independent such that I had to put Corel Word Perfect on each drive so we both could write on our respective drives.

What would you suggest?

Solution

Big no! Vista runs worse than Windows 7 on the same hardware. Besides, free downloads are illegal....

For safety of the Spanish system, I recommend removing the cables for that disk before installing XP on the other drive. If they are Partitions, there is a risk the entire drive might be formatted in the installation process so take great care in the early stages of installation.

"A major pain is that I can't change the screen resolution and some pages open too large for the screen such that I can't even get to the X or a Close button and have to use another method to get out of the page."

Either your screen resolution is wrong, or you haven't installed the correct graphics driver. This is not a Windows 7 problem.

How much memory do you have in the PC, by the way?

thearm

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
I agree with Herr_Koos. I would find out what video card is on that motherboard, download the latest drivers for it, install them and reboot. I could see you not being able to run some memory intensive applications but you should at least be able to change the resolution to SOMETHING that gives you a clean view of all sides of your screen. It's probably the fact that your monitor has been adjusted for a specific resolution and refresh rate, and since your resolution is so low, it's not displaying correctly(happens on my PC). I'm betting on the video card. And even after you install your video card software and reboot, the screen may still look the same until to go and adjust the resolution.

kountryking

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

I can't change the screen resolution without a distorted screen. The graphics driver is listed as the right one with no more recent updates available. Although I have three 256 MB modules installed, my Belarc Advisor now shows two with the third marked "empty". Therefore, Belarc shows 512 MB of usable installed memory. (I can't figure that out. When I had three 128 MB modules they were all included.) This data is the same whether I tested on the C: or D: drives. What is different with the graphics controllers is that the C: drive with Windows XP in Spanish shows an Intel 82815 Graphics Controller Display Adapter and the D: drive with Windows 7 shows Standard VGA Graphics Display Adapter. This part is over my head. Therefore, I hesitate to remove the Windows 7 until I can see 3 x 256 MB of RAM and a possible improvement in screen resolution.
To assist that possibility, I removed the DIMM1, 2, and 3 modules and cleaned the contacts. I replaced them in a different order and re-tested with Belarc to the same result. That's where I am at the moment.

kountryking

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

How do I identify the Video Card?

What's the make and model of your motherboard? Some older ones are incapable of mor ethan 128Mb per slot so your 256 sticks are only being partially recognised. Windows 7 can't do much on 512 or even 768 - I'm surprised it worked at all. Theere simply isn't enough spare memory to lend to graphics.

kountryking

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

The Board: Intel Corporation D815EEAAAA19243-207, Serial Number: IUEA03827734, Bus Clockk: 133 megahertz, BIOS: Intel Corp. EA81510A.15A.0012.P09.0104231513 O4/23/2001.
The PC is a Gateway CP7800.

If what you say is true, I'm surprised that Windows 7 compatibility check passed and that when I Googled for sticks for my specific computer that the vendor didn't mention that three would be superfluous and wouldn't increase my RAM at all.

Thank you for the information.

kountryking

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

Based on what I'm reading here, I think you're correct. When I have the time, I'll pull the cable on my C: drive, format the D: drive and re-install Windows XP. Maybe I can find a free download for Vista.

kountryking

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

I had XP and later Vista when it crashed and I had to go through hell to find someone here in El Salvador who could help me get it running again. The fellow installed XP Prof. Spanish version on the C: drive and when I realized what changes he made (my tech vocabulary in Spanish is virtually non-existent) I found I could install my old XP in English on the D: drive. When Windows 7 came out, I followed Windows' advice and let them tell me electronically whether or not my computer could install it and it said OK. So, I bought the disc. It installed without incident. It wasn't until I checked my email that I noticed the page didn't fit on the screen and I had to use the scroll bars to read my messages. Since I've gotten used to using my laptop mostly, and my Spanish-speaking son is happy with the Spanish version on the C: drive, I hadn't paid much attention to it until recently. I decided to learn what I could.
I've never used Linux. The other problem I have here in the Third World is a source for purchasing components. I have to have ink for my scanner/printer/copier sent to me from the U.S. So, I may just let it be or look for a new PC. My son is in his last year of school and won't need to research his homework in a few more months.

Thank you.

Big no! Vista runs worse than Windows 7 on the same hardware. Besides, free downloads are illegal....

Solution

kountryking

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011

You are right on both counts. I'll stick with the XP. I know that works. Thanks again.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
On the idea of rather or not the OS of any can run on any amount of memory would probably say the one OS in Most requirement would need the more of lesser memory to probably run. With the requirement of OS on the lesser to only run on less of the difference with what could be used in total. Overall your amount of memory to use might not increase. But OS to use which memory is better set maybe for use on the idea of use withn memory usage.

Otherwise formatting seems to be your only option to use on the idea and reinstalling XP and try installing on both drives. Other user accounts are probably your best interest and of it to have a language set for the User of interest for the language of interest. If appliable of course.

Otherwise limited to the ram on the laptop and how it is allowed to work with the OS. And how the OS works with the ram. Or sees the ram. And with what the motherboard sees of it all of course.

All i would be able to think of more then anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.