[SOLVED] How to repair Samsung HDTV "click of death"

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
Didn't know what, if any, subforum to post this in.

My ten year old Samsung HDTV (model UN40C6300) wouldn't turn on (after ten years of perfect operation). A bit of research claimed this was the infamous Samsung "click of death," a hardware problem where the TV will not turn on but keeps clicking repeatedly as if to start itself. The supposed solution was to replace the power supply board. Given how old this set is, the part is rare and expensive (+$200 new from some vendors). I found a used one on Ebay for $40 from a reputable seller. I got the board, replaced it and ....nothing. Same issue: clicking over and over but will not turn on.

I have no idea what the problem is. There are two other boards in the TV, both are PCB's. I inspected the power supply board and found no evidence of ruptured capacitors, leaks or any other damaged components.

Does anyone have any idea or experience with this problem?

Thank you.

Solution
TVs can be tough to repair, you got a used board, so could be the board is bad, or that was not the issue.

For a 10 yr old 40" TV the best advice would be to not bother fixing it but replace it even with a used working model. The $40 you spend on a board is half of a fully working TV in the same size. Unless you got this from your great aunt that passed away or as a gift from your wife on your 10th anniversary and you really really want to have this exact set, not much point in buying parts for it.
TVs can be tough to repair, you got a used board, so could be the board is bad, or that was not the issue.

For a 10 yr old 40" TV the best advice would be to not bother fixing it but replace it even with a used working model. The $40 you spend on a board is half of a fully working TV in the same size. Unless you got this from your great aunt that passed away or as a gift from your wife on your 10th anniversary and you really really want to have this exact set, not much point in buying parts for it.

Solution

volstead

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
I researched the problem. Seems that the overwhelming evidence was the power supply board was bad. I decided to try to fix it. Found a board on ebay for $40. Installed it and....nothing. Thankfully the seller refunded my money. So I'm not bothering with it anymore. Shame because it's a great TV.

Thanks for the comments.