How to replace a WiFi card with an Ethernet port?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wingman2

Commendable
May 29, 2016
Hello everyone,

I am looking for a way to replace the broken WiFi card on my internet radio with a cable connection (didn't find identical card for replacement)? Is it at all possible and if it is how should I approach the problem?

My internet radio suddenly stopped "seeing" WiFi networks, while its other functions (FM, remote control, etc.) remain intact.
The WiFi card actual picture is available at www.chmielna7.pl/wifi
The current card working temperature is ca. 160 deg. Celsius (320F - a bit high but tech specs say up to 250 deg. C/480F at peaks) and the green onboard LED is constantly lit (not flashing). It seems like the card is continuously seeking WiFi signals. I imagine when the connection is established the card temperature should be lower.

Since the exact same WiFi circuit board is unavailable I am looking for a way to connect the radio to the internet by wire (Ethernet port?)

Since very similar (same chip) WiFi PCBs are used in USB WIFi cards at first I thought I could use an Ethernet -> USB adapter and solder the USB plug cables to the radio main board thus replacing the WiFi board but I guess there may be a driver problem, if not all sorts of other problems.

My internet queries didn't bring hints on how to tackle the issue. And I don't want to scrap the otherwise well working radio - I just need the internet back.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Thanks!

So we are talking about a laptop then? The easiest is to use an USB adapter, they have WIFI or Ethernet variety, up to you. There may not be an ethernet plug-in board for your laptop, only your laptop vendor knows.

kanewolf

Titan
The problem will be that the firmware (OS for the radio) won't have any drivers for any new devices and since it is in EEPROM and you don't have the source code, you won't be able to add any.

Wingman2

Commendable
May 29, 2016

We are talking about an radio set with WiFi :??: - if still interested please have a look at the web address in my initial post.
Thanks anyway.

Wingman2

Commendable
May 29, 2016

Yes, I thought about that (4th paragraph) but now many Ethernet -> USB adapters are being sold without drivers so maybe they are using some standard, generic software and things could work. But probably you're right.

Thanks for a quick reply.

Any ideas where to seek for a replacement part are most welcome. (I checked Aliexpress, Ebay - no luck).

Thanks!

kanewolf

Titan

The original manufacturer will be your best (and maybe only) option.

Wingman2

Commendable
May 29, 2016

Yeah, but from my experience big corporations don't care and never reply to correspondence.

kanewolf

Titan

When I looked up that radio it was 80 euro or something. The vendor may believe they are disposable.

Wingman2

Commendable
May 29, 2016

ln my view the size and finishing of the radio rather makes it to stay. In addition I am very much into zero-waste and hate scraping stuff that can otherwise be repaired in 5 minutes.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.