[SOLVED] How to replace keyboard on laptop?

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am looking to replace the keyboards on the following laptops:

• Asus Zenbook UX331F
  • Asus X550JX-DM257T
And would like to ask:

• What is the best way to do this (are there any tutorials available) and is it easy to do (how likely is it to damage the laptop during the process)?
  • What are some good options (online) for ordering the replacement keyboards?
Ideally would like to replace the keyboard with a UK QWERTY or US QWERTY keyboard.

Thank you!

Solution
Both laptops are using no screw technologies to attach the keyboard to the plastic cover. So the only way to skip that part with the soldering gun or the hot glue is to buy the cover with an attached keyboard on it.
If you prefer you can find some local PC/Laptop repairment service to do that job for you.

As for the keyboard itself you are lucky because that keyboard is used on quite a lot of other Asus laptops.
To find some other online store search in google for "Asus X550JX tangentbord" or whatever is the 'keyboard' word in your local language.
This is one of the first results that i get is:
https://www.amazon.se/X550JX-DM191T...550JX-XX099D-tangentbordslayout/dp/B07BGXMPPM

And again, watch out for...
There are several youtube videos of the process.
Google search "Asus Zenbook UX331F keyboard replacement"
For example. It should be easy enough to do. You decide.
The best place to find keyboard replacements will be on ebay.
I have replaced one on a lenovo laptop and it was relatively easy to do.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
most laptops have been rather easy to remove the keyboard that i have done. only a couple have been a real pain. but i find that video on youtube first and even the weird ones go pretty easily. you won't go wrong with a nice video to follow :)

mettall

Prominent
Nov 28, 2022
Hi, In this topic: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/replacing-the-keyboard-of-a-laptop.3800208/
I have added three different videos on how to replace keyboards. The last one probably gives the best advice.
Of course there are some technical differences between the models and the brands but they all share the same principle.

If you haven't disassembled those laptops before you may need to watch some videos on how to disassemble them and then watch some videos (like these on the topic) on how to replace the keyboard.

My advice would be to carefully remove the heads of the plastic pins with the soldering gun and then again use the soldering gun to attach it (just like it is shown on the third video). Alternatively you can use hot glue (hot silicone) to attach the new keyboard but i don't know how sturdy would be that.

Overall it is hard to attach the new keyboard without any clearance (gap) between the keyboard the laptop cover. A difference of 1 millimeter would make a huge difference when typing on the keyboard. As you know the down path of the keystrokes is about 1.8-2mm. And if you add a gap of about 1mm that would make the typing on the keyboard really uncomfortable.

Alternatively you can look for laptop cover with a keyboard that is already attached to the cover. This is a little bit more expensive option but you will not have to attach the keyboard by yourself.

Please share your experience after you replace the keyboards.

mettall

Prominent
Nov 28, 2022
You can search for keyboards on amazon, ebay, or aliexpress. Probably they are all manufactured in China.

Some Asus keyboards have differences between the UK and the US versions. In the US version the Enter key takes one row, and the UK keyboard takes two row. So just make sure that the Enter keys are the same as the laptop chassis.

Look at this images to get an example. The top one is the UK version.

KB_United_Kingdom.svg

KB_United_States-NoAltGr.svg

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi, In this topic: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/replacing-the-keyboard-of-a-laptop.3800208/
I have added three different videos on how to replace keyboards. The last one probably gives the best advice.
Of course there are some technical differences between the models and the brands but they all share the same principle.

If you haven't disassembled those laptops before you may need to watch some videos on how to disassemble them and then watch some videos (like these on the topic) on how to replace the keyboard.

My advice would be to carefully remove the heads of the plastic pins with the soldering gun and then again use the soldering gun to attach it (just like it is shown on the third video). Alternatively you can use hot glue (hot silicone) to attach the new keyboard but i don't know how sturdy would be that.

Overall it is hard to attach the new keyboard without any clearance (gap) between the keyboard the laptop cover. A difference of 1 millimeter would make a huge difference when typing on the keyboard. As you know the down path of the keystrokes is about 1.8-2mm. And if you add a gap of about 1mm that would make the typing on the keyboard really uncomfortable.

Alternatively you can look for laptop cover with a keyboard that is already attached to the cover. This is a little bit more expensive option but you will not have to attach the keyboard by yourself.

Please share your experience after you replace the keyboards.
Thank you for all the info Mettall!
Oh goodness, I hope I won't need to do soldering and use hot glue... sounds complicated!

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Thank you everyone for your kind replies and support :)

I have added a photo link below (tried using the 'Insert image' button but an error came up) of the current keyboard for the Asus X550JX-DM257T. It has a Scandinavian/Nordic keyboard and I would like to replace it with either QWERTY UK or US - I guess I would need to go with what fits the current laptop cover, as I would prefer to skip the extra expense of the laptop cover + keyboard combo. Would I need to do soldering and such (as in Mettall's post)? Do you have any links where to order the keyboard for that laptop in Europe?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tdkiviver7500c/keyboard.jpg?dl=0

mettall

Prominent
Nov 28, 2022
Both laptops are using no screw technologies to attach the keyboard to the plastic cover. So the only way to skip that part with the soldering gun or the hot glue is to buy the cover with an attached keyboard on it.
If you prefer you can find some local PC/Laptop repairment service to do that job for you.

As for the keyboard itself you are lucky because that keyboard is used on quite a lot of other Asus laptops.
To find some other online store search in google for "Asus X550JX tangentbord" or whatever is the 'keyboard' word in your local language.
https://www.amazon.se/X550JX-DM191T...550JX-XX099D-tangentbordslayout/dp/B07BGXMPPM

And again, watch out for the Enter key and CTRL keys before buying the keyboard.
Good luck!

Solution

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016

And again, watch out for the Enter key and CTRL keys before buying the keyboard.
Good luck!

Thank you Mettall.

Oh that's not good news. I really thought the Asus Zenbook UX331F would at least be replaceable with just screws. Can I ask how you are able to check on the keyboards like you did? (So I know how to look things up in the future).

Thanks for the link to the keyboard - I think it shows the Scandinavian/Nordic keyboard (which I currently have) and would like to replace it with QWERTY (UK ideally, otherwise US). Could you possibly help with finding the replacement?

Does the end part of the laptop model number ('DM257T' in the model number X550JX-DM257T) need to match when looking for replacements or should I just be searching for 'Asus X550JX keyboard'? Thank you and sorry for all the questions, I'm new to all of this!

mettall

Prominent
Nov 28, 2022
The answer of all this questions is: Do your own google search!

About the screws question, check this video:
View: https://youtu.be/ZiqO-pWYzmw?t=557

Do you see any screws that are holding the keyboard?
If you have the laptop you can disassemble it (just remove the cover with the keyboard) by yourself an check it out.

The model version ('DM257T') is not necessary when searching for the keyboard. You should use just the model number - X550JX. The manufacturers are using a single keyboard model in multiple laptop models. So as you can see from the link in amazon that keyboard is compatible with multiple Asus models. Additionally if you disassemble the laptop you can find some part number on the original keyboard and search by that number for replacement...

Also don't expect that the build quality of the replacement keyboard will be the same as the original one. Probably the replacement keyboards are made in different factory, different settings, different batches, different materials. You can speak with the seller of the product before buying one...

And speaking of this... You should make your own decisions on choosing the new keyboard. And burden the weight of that decisions afterwards. I cannot advice you which keyboard exactly you should buy. But you have plenty of options. Also you may want to reconsider the option for a keyboard with a palmrest.

Good luck!

mettall

Prominent
Nov 28, 2022
I found this funny video with a keyboard that is similar to the yours. That guy is using two-sided duck tape and two-component vary strong glue. However i feel sceptical about this. I'm not sure that this will be durable enough.

From all the possible methods i think the best option is to use the soldering gun. Probably this is the strongest way to attach the keyboard.

On this video it is explained quite well how to do it properly:

View: https://youtu.be/YIJ-1oTwb48?t=779

That guy on the video is using dremel to remove the plastic rivets. But probably this is not the best option. For example you can use a flat head screwdriver with twisting motions under the keyboard. This way the head of the plastic pins will pop out.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi mettall

Thank you very much for all your messages!

I have attached a photo (below) of the inside of the laptop. It looks like there are no screws for removing the keyboard - is that correct?

I appreciate you sending the video link - nice idea with melting the cable ties! To be honest though, I think doing soldering and such is beyond me at this point :)

It might be best to go with the option of buying a new laptop cover with keyboard (with QWERTY - UK preferably, otherwise US). If it were you, where might you buy this from? Is it better to buy from Asus directly (and possibly pay more) or just get something on, for example Ebay/Amazon etc? I was wondering, with the photo - where is the serial number for the current keyboard/cover (would this be useful for making sure the right part is replaced)? Sorry I'm new to all of this and don't want to order the wrong part!

Thanks again and I hope you have a good weekend.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/557iotg4j01v6tx/lap-1.jpg?dl=0
(Ps. Any idea why I can't insert this link using the 'Insert image' button?)

mettall

Prominent
Nov 28, 2022
To find a compatible parts you need the OEM Part number, or just part number (P/N), or SCU number. The part number is something like:

90NB08Y2-R31US0
90NB02F8-R31US0

So try to find some number on the cover and search in google by that number. Usually the serial numbers are not shown under the palmrest cover. Usually they are shown on the bottom of the laptop or somewhere on the case.

And sometimes is enough to know just the model number - X550JX in your case.
So you can find the part by searching by any of that.

Here are some results that i found:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363259601089
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004955210481.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002120537569.html
https://en.accessoires-asus.com/asus-grey-us-qwerty-keyboard-66309-63326.htm#x550jx|l

About the quality, if you order directly from Asus probably you will get original parts with high quality. However, that does not mean that if you order from amazon/ebay you will necessary get fake parts. Sometimes they could be manufactured in the same factory. You can contact the sellers and ask them for additional information, pictures, etc.

As for myself, i'm waiting for my parts to arrive from China. They were not present in any european store. Thanks for asking.

To embed the image you should use a direct link to the image file. You are posting a link to an HTML page that holds the image.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi mettall

Thank you again for all your kind help, and sorry for the delay in replying.

Unfortunately, I could not find the part number or SCU for the keyboard/palm rest cover. There was a barcode on the palmrest cover and just 4 digits next to it, otherwise no other codes I can see (also looked underneath the laptop). Any ideas where else it might be?

I really appreciate you sharing those search results for ordering the keyboard/palm rest cover. Unfortunately, they do not seem to match as the keyboard has an L-shaped enter key (as per below). If we could find products with the L-shaped enter key that would be great.

What has your experience been like ordering directly from CN? Have you every had any issues and what is it like in terms of returns (and return shipping)? I'm not done this before, so would be curious to know :)

Thank you and I hope you are having an enjoyable weekend.

(PS. Still having issues with image upload, says server error - tried with raw=1 this time)

Last edited:

mettall

Prominent
Nov 28, 2022
Yes, these keyboards with the palmrest are with the US layout. They keyboards with the L-shaped enter key are the UK layout. I'm not sure if the UK layout keyboards are available with attached palmrest. But i guess the US layout is not a problem if you buy the whole cover with the keyboard.

You should be careful when ordering stuff from CN. Always choose sellers with high positive feedback, more than 90% for sure... I haven't returned anything back to China. Every seller has different policy on returns. If it's not described you can contact them and ask them about that. If you don't receive the item in some months you can request refund trough the platform. Also if the item arrives and the item is not as described you can ask the seller for partial refund. Some EU countries may hold the packages from non-EU countries at the customs for few days until they determine the VAT status. But Ebay and Aliexpress should pay the VAT when you buy the product so everything should be OK. Just pay attention if the price includes VAT...
I'm sure you can find many groups in Facebook on how to shop from CN. Those groups may have descriptions of you local government laws and etcetera.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Yes, these keyboards with the palmrest are with the US layout. They keyboards with the L-shaped enter key are the UK layout. I'm not sure if the UK layout keyboards are available with attached palmrest. But i guess the US layout is not a problem if you buy the whole cover with the keyboard.

You should be careful when ordering stuff from CN. Always choose sellers with high positive feedback, more than 90% for sure... I haven't returned anything back to China. Every seller has different policy on returns. If it's not described you can contact them and ask them about that. If you don't receive the item in some months you can request refund trough the platform. Also if the item arrives and the item is not as described you can ask the seller for partial refund. Some EU countries may hold the packages from non-EU countries at the customs for few days until they determine the VAT status. But Ebay and Aliexpress should pay the VAT when you buy the product so everything should be OK. Just pay attention if the price includes VAT...
I'm sure you can find many groups in Facebook on how to shop from CN. Those groups may have descriptions of you local government laws and etcetera.
Thank you very much mettall.

So if I go with the option of replacing the whole cover/palmrest and keyboard, should I be able to choose from either L-shaped enter key or non-L-shaped enter key, as the whole part is being replaced anyway? (i.e. The exact key and layout does not need to match what I currently have (Nordic with L-shaped enter key)?

Thanks for letting me know about ordering from CN - will try to avoid if possible!

Cool video with the heatgun - some serious gear there! Bit beyond me but looks fun :)

mettall

Prominent
Nov 28, 2022
Yes, my assumption is that if you change the whole palmrest it is not necessary to match the Enter keys.
Moreover, i couldn't find a palmrest with keyboard attached where the Enter key is L-shaped. Are they being manufactured at all? So probably the only option would be to buy a palmrest with keyboard attached where the Enter key is on a single row (the US layout).

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Yes, my assumption is that if you change the whole palmrest it is not necessary to match the Enter keys.
Moreover, i couldn't find a palmrest with keyboard attached where the Enter key is L-shaped. Are they being manufactured at all? So probably the only option would be to buy a palmrest with keyboard attached where the Enter key is on a single row (the US layout).
Great, thank you mettall.
I will look into options to buy the palmrest and keyboard combo and go with QWERTY (whether that is US or UK will be fine).
Really appreciate all your kind help!