News How to Replace the Start Menu in Windows 11

HyperMatrix

Honorable
May 23, 2015
For the past few years I’ve been launching most of my apps either by their desktop or taskbar icon, or by hitting the windows key and typing part of its name and hitting enter. It’s by far the fastest method. There’s nothing particularly useful about the windows 10 start menu unless you happened to like the live tiles for the apps that supported it. Overall not a significant change and nostalgia and fear of change would be the only reason I can see for people wanting to stick to the old look.

Aaron44126

Commendable
Aug 28, 2019
I for one will miss the Windows 10 Start menu. Not because of Live Tiles, that was a nifty feature but I never saw it used in a way that was "useful" other than maybe the weather app tile. Since Windows 8, I've adopted an approach of pinning basically everything that I could need to the start menu. It's laid out in a way that makes sense to me and I know where everything is. So, opening an app is just Windows key + click, even faster than typing in the search bar. The most common stuff I have pinned to the taskbar, but the Start menu has easily 80+ apps available at a glance.

On Windows 11, I think you can only pin 18 items before having to scroll through them. They can't be freely placed, either, they are arranged in rows sort of like iOS. So, blah. Just throwing icons on the desktop is not really my thing, because then I have to deal with minimizing all open windows to access it. The closest thing that I've found to replicate the Windows 10 Start menu (as a one-click app launcher) is WinLaunch, but that one doesn't have as much layout flexibility as the Win8.1/10 Start menu did.

Reactions: Pollopesca

Math Geek

Champion
Ambassador
i could not get open shell working on it, did not realize i had to set the task bar to the left first.

much more bearable interface when i can make it look like win 7 :) and of course once you enable the win 7 start menu, you can now make folders and organize your stuff like many like/want to do.

otherwise i really don't see much different than win 10 in how it works.

Mar 19, 2021
I've been using RocketDock with stacks for frequent apps (aligned to the left) since the XP days. Sure it hasn't changed since 2008, but still serves its purpose well. The Win 10 start menu was the only one that really came close to the same level of customization/organization with small tiles. Being 1-2 clicks from any major app without cluttering my desktop or scrolling through a list.

I feel like customization is key to a good start menu.

helfer.pesche

Reputable
May 24, 2018
I for one will miss the Windows 10 Start menu. Not because of Live Tiles, that was a nifty feature but I never saw it used in a way that was "useful" other than maybe the weather app tile. Since Windows 8, I've adopted an approach of pinning basically everything that I could need to the start menu. It's laid out in a way that makes sense to me and I know where everything is. So, opening an app is just Windows key + click, even faster than typing in the search bar. The most common stuff I have pinned to the taskbar, but the Start menu has easily 80+ apps available at a glance.

On Windows 11, I think you can only pin 18 items before having to scroll through them. They can't be freely placed, either, they are arranged in rows sort of like iOS. So, blah. Just throwing icons on the desktop is not really my thing, because then I have to deal with minimizing all open windows to access it. The closest thing that I've found to replicate the Windows 10 Start menu (as a one-click app launcher) is WinLaunch, but that one doesn't have as much layout flexibility as the Win8.1/10 Start menu did.
Me too! I feel exactly the same way. Everything I need is neetly organized in the Start Menu - even hierarchically. Everything I need frequently is linked on the taskbar. But that's only a fraction of what I have in the Start Menu, and the taskbar is already full. I seriously hope there will be some kind of workaround or third party app to get the Win 10 Start Menu back. It's not about nostalgics, I switched from Win 7 to Win 10 easily. It's about the Win 10 Start Menu being way more flexible than the dumbed down Win 11 Start Menu.

Reactions: Pollopesca

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
There’s nothing particularly useful about the windows 10 start menu unless you happened to like the live tiles for the apps that supported it.
Agreed. The only live tile I ever use is the Weather Forecast tile, which I do scan frequently. Otherwise, I don't use the feature on any other file.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I feel like customization is key to a good start menu.
I think that philosophy should be the core to a good start menu that can be customized to the end users whims.

I have a alternate Start Menu Design that is a hybrid of all the existing Start menu's that I want to try to implement, but it'll take time for me to figure out how to make it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY