How to reset PSU

Sep 1, 2018
Due to a power trip my PSU is no longer working. My pc turns on for a second i.e the lights and fans turn on for a second and then it shuts down. Is there any way to know if my PSU can still work or if it's time to change it? Also what UPS might help to reduce this risk factor in the future. My PSU is a corsair vs 650. Other components include a i5 8600k along with a GTX 1060

Solution
Well, that specific PSU is a low quality unit. If you are lucky it's just the PSU that is fried, if not then it could be other components as well. Had it been a good quality PSU it should have been able to withstand a power trip. Anyway for an UPS, you need to get one large enough to handle your systems power draw.

Try to disconnect the PSU from everything and short the 2 pins on the 24pin ATX plug to see if the PSU will power up. The pins you need to short is the green wire and one of the black wires. Just use a metal clips to do it.
Well, that specific PSU is a low quality unit. If you are lucky it's just the PSU that is fried, if not then it could be other components as well. Had it been a good quality PSU it should have been able to withstand a power trip. Anyway for an UPS, you need to get one large enough to handle your systems power draw.

Try to disconnect the PSU from everything and short the 2 pins on the 24pin ATX plug to see if the PSU will power up. The pins you need to short is the green wire and one of the black wires. Just use a metal clips to do it.

Solution
You don't need a UPS, just a good surge protector, almost all the big brands even have insurance to cover damage to components attached to it (be aware surge protectors do wear out, shoudl be replaced every 2 or 3 years). As far as if its a bad PSU that's hard to tell, you could start there, and to be honest the Corsair VS line of power supplies are not very good. The Corsair CX (not the ones with green lettering) and CXM are better budget power supplies, but in a system like yours I would get a Sesonic Focus 550 watt.

The issue also could be a short somewhere in the system it self, I would start by replaced the PSU though.