How to revert to Windows 8.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAFriendlyNoob

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
I'm on Window 10 and I want to revert back to Windows 8.1.
I remembered 2 months ago that during the login screen on Windows 10 it would ask if I wanted to revert back to 8.1. I never clicked it but now when I do wanna revert it doesn't appear anymore so I wanna know how.

I'm on Windows 10 Preview.

Also audio stopped working after the automatic update.

Ambyjkl

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
I once downgraded from Windows 8 Pro with Media center to Windows 8 Pro without media center. I did this by changing a registry value that holds the operating system details. This may/may not work to downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 8.1, but try this (at your own risk):
1. Do Windows Key + R (will open run dialog)
2. Type regedit and then enter
3. In the reg editor, navigate to this key on the left side: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
4. On the right side you should see to values EditionID And ProductName. Note down their values because these are the ones you have to change. If this fails then you will have to revert these strings to their original values.
5. Change these values to: EditionID = "Core", ProductName= "Windows 8" (Without the quotes)
6. Now insert your Windows 8.1 Installation DVD. (if you don't have one then you can download the iso file from some website. This is legal if you own Windows 8.1. Then you can burn it to a dvd or create a bootable usb flash drive out of it.)
7. Follow the instructions, then enter your product key, then check keep all my windows settings files and apps (the first option)
8. The installation will proceed (maybe) and then you may get windows 8.1 back. Your windows 10 installation will be moved to Windows.old and you can delete it to free some hard drive space.

Ok here is the official microsoft instruction.http://goo.gl/bF6Cb5

Basically you needed to have a made a system image or recovery partition BEFORE you installed the windows 10 preview. If you have, then it is very easy to recover from them (let me know if you want help doing this though).

But, if you HAVE NOT made recovery media before installing the windows 10 preview then unfortunately your only option may be to do a fresh re-install of Windows 8.1 after formatting your hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.