Question How to run a mild stress test unattended ?

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I have an old PSU that used to cause occasional crashes and restarts. I've repaired it and now want to test it in a desktop that I assembled from spare parts, running Windows from an old SSD.

I don't want to start with a full torture test but would rather make it run light to moderate tasks to begin with, equivalent to, say, having several browser tabs open while playing a video file, or playing an old fps game with the IGP.

I cannot sit in front of the computer all day just to see if it crashes or restarts by itself. Could you suggest a way to make the computer run continuously by itself while subjecting it to the kind of workload I described?

Ralston18

Titan
Try simultaneously "watching" several videos via different browers and/or tabs. Live streams shots from weather cams, beaches, movies, new feeds, etc.. Anything you wish.

However, beforehand take a look at Reliability History and Event Viewer. See what error codes, warnings, and informational events are already logged. Clear the logs.

Start everything up and walk away.

If you come back and discover that the system has crashed or restarted then check the logs again.

Reliability History is user friendly and the timeline format can reveal patterns.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort to navigate and understand.

FYI:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Look at the logs first, get a sense of the information being provided, clear the logs (to get a fresh start), and then run the the tests using whatever workload you choose to test.

Start slowly just 2 or 3 "videos", then ramp up again as you choose. Just be methodical and consistent.

I would write down a simple test plan. The initial testing setup and then progressively add-on to the workload. Trying to make consistent increases in the workload.

And you can use Task Manager or Resource Monitor to observe the performance of system components: what resources are being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource. Use both tools but only one tool at a time. Leave the tool window open and readable while the testing process is going on.

Do turn off all power savers, screensavers, etc.. to prevent them from kicking in and possibly putting the computer to sleep.

If problems occur there is a very good chance that either Reliability History and/or Event Viewer will capture some related error code, warning, or informational event.

Any given log entries can be clicked for more details. The details may or may not be helpful.

You can revise the above in any manner that you wish in order to meet the testing requirements that you have in mind.

Your "tool" and your "plan".

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions and sorry about the late reply. A storm damaged my power line half an hour after I posted my question and it was only restored an hour ago.

I have to catch up on a few things and will run the test as soon as I have time.