Question How to secure a Router when allowing public access

Mar 1, 2021
Hi, I have a small business and extend my house router through an ethernet cable into an access point, to allow my business next door free public access. For now, I just let them connect to the ssid and password that has been changed on the router page. I don't have any sensitive data on my network, but about 10 personal devices in my home connect wirelessly.

What would the smartest way of going about this be? Do I somehow create a separate network the customers can connect to, or is it ok that we share one as long as I make sure they can't make router changes (I could probably set it to only allow access through wired connections). I just want to make sure everyone's data is separate and inaccessible by others who connect to the network.

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
You have 3 different use cases:
Your home
Your business
Next door business

Tread carefully.

Does your router have a Guest Network function?

What is the nature of the other business? How well do you trust them, and ALL of their potential users?

Mar 1, 2021
You have 3 different use cases:
Your home
Your business
Next door business

Tread carefully.

Does your router have a Guest Network function?

What is the nature of the other business? How well do you trust them, and ALL of their potential users?
Sorry if i wasn't clear, it is my business so the only two router users are my house (me) and my business customers, which i trust but still need to protect everyone on the network. Also, I don't think my router has a guest function, I will call them and double check though

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
Sorry if i wasn't clear, it is my business so the only two router users are my house (me) and my business customers, which i trust but still need to protect everyone on the network. Also, I don't think my router has a guest function, I will call them and double check though
Ah, OK.

Look into your router features, and see if there is a Guest function.
Let your other users connect wirelessly with that.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS