Question How to see my switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 1, 2022
My switch is running off my router(Asus GT-AX11000); it was set up for me a while back. I can't find where on the router my switch is connected. In my previous router i could find my ports and associated IP addresses associated with them but i have scanned all over the Asus Router application.

Jun 1, 2022
Switches at the consumer level do not respond to such things as ping. If you want to know what port on the modem that the switch is connected to you'll have to trace the cable.
THanks for your reply. Yes, i can do as you mention but I want to now the IP address. so i can make sure all the ports on the switch are turned on. knowing which port on the router doesnt tell me what the ip for teh switch is. Is there some way to connect and configure my switch without a IP?

kanewolf

Titan
THanks for your reply. Yes, i can do as you mention but I want to now the IP address. so i can make sure all the ports on the switch are turned on. knowing which port on the router doesnt tell me what the ip for teh switch is. Is there some way to connect and configure my switch without a IP?
What is the model of the switch? Unless it is a managed switch, you don't get any insight.

Your first problem is the lan port on your router is actually running as a switch with a single port connect to the router chip. In many cases the lan ports on a switch all appear as a single port to the router.

Now "maybe" the switch chip in the router can show you what is called the mac forwarding table. This is a memory that keeps track of what mac addresses the switch has seen on each port. Note this is mac address not IP address.

So if you hook a PC to a lan port on the router directly you should only see 1 mac address on that port. If you were to see multiple mac addresses you could assume that there was a switch connected to that port that allowed multiple devices beyond it.

This is only mostly true since there are devices that can have multiple mac addresses.

So it would let you know what port on your router has a switch but it does not let you know what is connected to what port on that switch. You would need a switch that has some method to get access and then display the table. Most simple unmanged switches even though they have a mac address forwarding table give you no way to see it.

Some commercial equipment has the ability for example to limit what mac addresses are on certain ports or only allow certain mac addresses after you authenticate/login to a server.

kanewolf

Titan
Status
Not open for further replies.