how to set 1x in old 2x graphics card

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Hi, I’m trying some overclock (from FSB 100 to 112 MHz) but haven’t been able to get in windows. The led of HDD remains on but nothing. RAM is PC133 so I think the problem is the old graphics card (2x)
Couldn’t find any way to set 1x in order to reduce the pressure to the graphics card. BIOS doesn’t have any setting.
Thxs for any advice.

Specs:
MB: pcchips M726 (Ali Aladdin pro-2) at 103 MHz (running stable)
PII 350@360
Graphics card: diamond speedstar a50 8MB (sis 86C326)

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CMRvet on 09/05/01 09:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
on my motherboard which has the apollo mvp3 chipset on it, (Epox Mvp3-c), the only way to change from 1x or 2x is to reinstall the motherboard drivers. i dont know with the board you have, but if it is anything like the via chipset, then when you install the drivers for the motherboard, you have to change from fast mode to normal mode agp transfer. this will force 1x agp. if that is not an option, then maybe there is a jumper setting on the card itself. (if it is an old agp card, like you said). i hope that helps at all. there are also probably some tweaks and programs that might be able to change the agp transfer mode for you. i dont know of any, but someone here might. i hope it works out for you.
-DAvid

-Vacuums suck...really...-

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Thanks for the reply David, I’ve seen the graphics card and it doesn’t have any jumper :( Drivers don’t have any option on changing the AGP transfer. So, hope to find software capable to set 1x….. and do some overclocking. thxs

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
by the way, why would you want to slow down the transfer of the agp when you are overclocking?
wouldnt that undermine your efforts?
i am pretty sure that higher agp transfer means higher framerates. or are you just going for faster cpu mhz? because then i would understand the want for lower agp transfer. sometimes it is more stable.
-DAvid

-Vacuums suck...really...-

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
That’s the exact idea. The system is not stable enough even to run at FSB 112 MHz and think in a graphics card problem....

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i get it.
now you just have to figure out how to get that thing to run in 1x agp...
unless you already have.
i would contact your manufacturers(of themobo and vid card) and ask them if there is a way to get them to run in 1x agp...
the only reason i say to ask the vid card manufacturer also is because my good ol stealth3 s540 agp card had some jumpers on it. by changing the jumpers around according to what the manual said, you can change from 1x to 2x to 4x agp. and the stealth 3 wasnt that old of a card. so you might want to check in on that. as for the motherboard...there is either going to be a jumper on the board somewhere, a dip switch maybe, or some software or driver that will change it.

-DAvid

-Vacuums suck...really...-<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by HonestJhon on 09/07/01 03:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Hi.... you said that the harddisk drive led just stays on , maybe it's the PCI bus that's not up to it, If you know what your PCI bus runs at after you overclock the FSB then that may answer your question. On my Mobo theres a switch that changes the PCI bus frequency from 33-44Mhz regardless of the FSB frequency and I had the same problem as you did untill I changed the PCI bus freq to 33Mhz. Theres a program that may work for you but I had no luck with it..

Try softFSB(freeware) from www.tweak3d.net or
www.voodoofiles.com

cheers:0

Wild~fire

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Thanks for the reply. My mobo doesn’t have any way to set the PCI freq. At FSB 100 MHz it is at 33 and at 112 MHz it is at 37. This mobo only has 1 divider from PCI to ISA. SoftFSB doesn’t have the pll of this mobo, therefore it has not been able to change the FSB :( There is another program similar to softFSB (cpuFSB), which does have the pll but again the system freezes-up when you change the FSB.
I’ve tried everything, but I think this mobo is non-overclockable :(
cheers

TRENDING THREADS