Question How to set shared GPU memory for intel HD graphics 4600 ?

buddhaseeking

Honorable
Jan 25, 2016
I have a desktop with more RAM than i can use (8GB). Most of the time i am using only 4 GB -- peak usage is about 8 GB on rare occasions. So, i want to increase RAM commitment to onboard intel HD graphics. I have a i7-4770 CPU, which has HD 4600 built-in HD graphics GPU. According to intel specs, this onboard HD 4600 can use a max of 2 GB RAM. There is no setting in bios to adjust graphics RAM allocation. Is there an intel tool or something else to commit 1 GB of RAM to GPU. Dedicated GPU memory (according to task manager) is 128MB. Note that i do not play any games, but do some video streaming online, and occasionally run some stock analysis of charts, which are GPU intensive.

Usually there should be a setting in the BIOS that lets you set the exact RAM number you want to dedicate to the GPU or let the BIOS automatically set that RAM number based on various factors. Now if your motherboard's BIOS doesn't have that setting then it's likely using a dynamic mode that automatically changes the RAM amount dedicated to the GPU. Usually the only way to change this is through the BIOS but you can also open the Intel GPU driver control panel and try to find a setting that controls the GPU RAM amount. Maybe you'll find there what you were looking for. Good luck.