How to set the correct memory timing for your PC

Bossman2

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Hi, I'm from the beautiful island of Jamaica and i'm kid of young to the overclocking stuff but I only do what I understand because It's the only PC I have to use (so i'm very careful about what i do). So one night i was on the internet and I saw a video on YouTube with Linus showing how to make your ram run at the correct advertise ram speed (Kingston DDR3 RAM Memory Installation Guide Frequency Timings Voltage Settings Linus Tech Tips).

With that in mind I also have Aida64 installed and I was looking at each of my ram sticks (2x2G Adata 1333mhz) but I realize even thou they should be the same I bought one 2G stick with the motherboard in 2012 but in 2015 I bought another 2G stick and that was when I know I really got very different rams but I just say this to say you can run two different ram stick in your computer but I still won't recommend it....

Anyway looking at Aida64 I saw the timings for each of the ram I had and so I entered my bios, went to performance and disable (Configure DRAM Timing By SPD).. looking at the characters like "tCL, tRAS, tRP, etc" Then change "DRAM Frequency from [DDR3 964]" to [DDR3 1280mhz] restart then.....

It boots!!... So i hope i helped someone struggling with this part and sorry if i made any mistakes write this but all corrections are welcomed

I'll have some pic too :D
view

view

view

view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gjAOH4YmHd3fsQB-bYgZZsM_XI7o3ZHj/view?usp=sharing

You should also run MEMTEST86 for a full pass www.memtest86.com

1) create boot USB/CD, then
2) boot to it and run until full pass completes (or errors)

May need to enter the motherboard BIOS (i.e. "DEL" on boot) to select the USB/CD as boot device or even change boot order so it's before the Windows drive.

Other:
System memory has multiple "profiles" that are a combination of Frequency and other timings. The motherboard tends to set to a LOW DEFAULT for reliability, especially if any differences in sticks are detected.

MOST PEOPLE should simply select "XMP" (or similar AMD setting) for the optimal profile, confirm that's correct frequency then test.

If sticks are DIFFERENT as per above post then sure experiment with the Frequency and timings.

OTHER:
SPD or "serial presence detect" is a way for the motherboard to look at the CODE on the memory sticks. The PROFILES of frequency/timings are added via BIOS updates to the motherboard.

If there's no profile then you get default settings applied. Nor can you use "XMP" since that is unknown. So disabling SPD is required to put in your own settings likely (or may auto-disable itself if you apply your own).

Other:
Motherboards vary in how the BIOS is setup, especially with newer memory such as DDR4 so people should attempt to find instructions for their exact motherboard.

Other:
The CPU may get no benefit anyway with a memory bandwidth increase.

Bossman2

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Thanks again for replying to my thread and sorry for the late reply today was so busy for me.

Ok so my motherboard doesn't "XMP" so SPD was my only option at this point. I don't really see any signs of anything wrong now but I will do a memtest to see if it's really stable but I should have also say that I already overclocked my CPU to 3.2Ghz stable for almost a year now (Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66Ghz.

http://

BTW System:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66Ghz(OC 3.2Ghz)
Biostar G41D3C(With the latest Bios update)
4G DDR3 ADATA 1333Mz
AMD Radeon HD 5970 2G Black Edition
ADATA SU800 120GB 3D-NAND 2.5 Inch SATA III