Question How to set "turn off hard disk after: never"

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Same place it's always been, and as noted, it's in the power profile.

Control Panel, Power Options. Then, depending on whether you're wanting to tweak the power plan you're currently using, in which case activate the Change plan settings link next to the plan you've currently got in use, then activate the Change Advanced power options link and find the Hard Disk entry.

If you're trying to create a whole new power plan then hit the Create a power plan link instead and go through the process.

As britech said above, in the "Change Advanced power options" link, double click "Hard disk"> , DC Turn off the Hard disk and then, at Settings (minutes) set the wait time settings, but there is no never setting, but you can choose up to 10,000 minutes Windows 10 will wait before it turns off your hdd.

Last edited:

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
And I typed "0 seconds" when I meant "0 minutes."

But I've encountered exactly this "zero means infinity - time wise or count wise" convention being used when zero could not legitimately represent zero more times than I can count.

At least we're all on the same page now.

USAFRet

Titan
so can I just input 0 to do it
You scroll down until you see the word "Never"
lTUbfNl.png

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
The phrases, "You say tomato, I say to-mah-to," and, "Six of one, half a dozen of another" both spring to mind.

I must say I am surprised that MS is not consistent in actually displaying "Never" as "Never," but since it is, in actuality, 0 . . .