[SOLVED] How to set up internet

Sep 26, 2019
Hi all, sorry if it's been asked but I'm new to the networking.
Basically I moved to my mates house and hes got virgin router downstairs, we have asked virgin to put another one in my room but engineer said it's not allowed.
Now how do I put internet into my room as I dont really want to have long cable as someone told me it will loose internet or something like that the longer the cable is.
What do I need to get to have internet in my room???
Really sorry again as i said i dont have a clue hahaha and if i need a router or what ever can you send me a links please to a decent ones. Many thanks

Solution
The long cable option is always the best if you can in any way accomplish this. Taped to the ceiling and the walls works but there are people who care more about appearance than function. Ethernet cables can go 100 meters and still run at 1gbit and I doubt you are anywhere close to that limit.

In any case powerline is you best option. It depends on how much you want to spend. I would not buy anything less than av2-600 units.

This site has pretty good ranking and give you more realistic speeds. If you need faster you are again back to running actual ethenet cable

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/powerline/view
Sep 26, 2019
Powerline plugs? Never heard of it, what do I need for that.
I was thinking of wifi card to put in my computer??
Can you guys send me links to what you think would be best suited for me?

The long cable option is always the best if you can in any way accomplish this. Taped to the ceiling and the walls works but there are people who care more about appearance than function. Ethernet cables can go 100 meters and still run at 1gbit and I doubt you are anywhere close to that limit.

In any case powerline is you best option. It depends on how much you want to spend. I would not buy anything less than av2-600 units.

This site has pretty good ranking and give you more realistic speeds. If you need faster you are again back to running actual ethenet cable

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/powerline/view

Solution
You need nothing really special. Cat5e is rated to 1gbit at 100 meters. You can buy cat6 if you can get it cheaper but it will not run any better.

Key here is avoid fake cable. The cable must be pure copper with wire size 22-24. You need to avoid CCA cable and that flat or thin cable. Monoprice is one of the common recommended sites but it is a little more expensive. Many times because of the cost of shipping cable you can get it for about the same price from your local home improvement store. Be sure to read the box it is not as common to sell fake cable but even walmart sells that flat cable which is not a certified cable.