how to setup a vpn server

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
i want to set up a vpn server so that all my mobile devices, laptops and desktops can connect to the internet securely, its also got to work with wireless repeaters (not set up yet). i would like to use a safe and very very very simple process in setting up this vpn server.

also i want to know if i set up this vpn server, does that mean i can connect to my internet from any where in the world?

does having a vpn server allow me to browse the internet safely without my ip address being detected? cause i know there are some sites that say that a site is not accessible from my geographical location, which is some times ironic when a google search would take me there

Solution

Then start researching the second part - find a VPN service which will fullflll your needs. There are plenty of free and paid VPN services around, Google/Bing for "free VPN service". Once you find that, you will need a router which can act as both VPN client, and VPN server. You might be able to flash alternative firmware like dd-wrt which contain these functionality.
You have misplaced the facts:
- if you want to "browse securery, without my IP address visible" - you need a VPN client in your router to connect to a VPN server somewhere, and it will be that remote VPN server' IP address which will be visible
- if you want to connect remotely into your home from somewhere (so you can copy files from your local network), you need VPN server running onto your router.

You can makenyour own server, but where you will put it? Ifnyou connect it at your hope, you would be able to login remotely (eg from a hotel, cafe etc) and connect to your homePC as is. you would be at home.

But it seems you want the opposite - from your home to connect to a VPN server somewhere, and hide your real IP address.

So, what you want?

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

i actually want to do both. have a secure internet connection and also be able to go other places and use my internet connection

Then start researching the second part - find a VPN service which will fullflll your needs. There are plenty of free and paid VPN services around, Google/Bing for "free VPN service". Once you find that, you will need a router which can act as both VPN client, and VPN server. You might be able to flash alternative firmware like dd-wrt which contain these functionality.

Solution

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
i keep hearing alot about openvpn, if i were to use that what information of mine will openvpn have access to? if i were to setup openvpn on an ios device, would that turn the entire ios device into a vpn server or would it be on the app? (sorry if that sounds like a stupid question)

me88

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

well my main important question is what information of mine will openvpn have access to?