How to setup DDNS in Windows 2000 server without Active Di..

peter

I'm trying to figure out why DDNS is not working in my LAN which is a Windows NT domain.

The DNS and DHCP are in a Windows 2000 Server which has the following configuration:

Full Computer Name: test.XXXX
Domain: XXXX

This is from the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties of the server "test":

Use the following IP address
- IP address: 192.168.1.16
- Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
- Default gateway: 192.168.1.1

Use the following DNS server addresses:
- Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.16
- Alternate DNS server: 192.168.1.16

This is from DNS tab of Advanced TCP/IP Settings of the server "test":

DNS server addresses, in order of use:

192.168.1.16
192.168.1.16

Append these DNS suffixes (in order):

XXXX.com

Register this connection's addresses in DNS

This is from the General tab of the zone XXXX.com in Forward Lookup Zones on the server "test":

Type: Primary
Allow dynamic updates?: Yes for the zone type Primary

This is from the Name Server tab of the zone XXXX.com under Forward Lookup Zone:

test. 192.168.1.16
test.XXXX 192.168.1.16

This is form the right hand panel of the DNS for the zone XXXX.com under Forward Lookup Zone:

Name Type Data
same as parent folder NS test.
same as parent folder NS test.xxxx.
same as parent folder SOA test.xxxx.
dns A 192.168.1.16

NOTE: The A record is having "dns" as the Name instead of "test". Will this cause problem? I don't know why we're using "dns" since this is done by an ex-employee.

This is from the right hand panel of the DNS for the 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa under Reverse Lookup Zones:

Name Type Data
same as parent folder NS test.
same as parent folder NS test.xxxx.
same as parent folder NS dns.xxxx.com
same as parent folder SOA test.xxxx.
16 PTR dns.xxxx.com

Note: I notice that under the Advanced tab of the Test Properties in the DNS, Load zone data on startup is set to "From Active Directory and registry". My understanding of our LAN is not using Active Directory. How can I verify that our LAN is not using Active Directory?

I have checked that the Windows 2000 DHCP Server has enabled the options:

- Automatically update DHCP client information in DNS
- Enable updates for DNS clients that do not support dynamic updates

Scope Options:
006 DNS Servers Standard 192.168.1.16
015 DNS Domain Name Standarad XXXX.com

NOTE: Server Options have nothing setup.

On a Windows 2000 client machine:

Full Computer Name: peterw2k.
Domain: XXXX

General tab
- Obtain an IP address automatically
- Obtain DNS server address automatically

IP Settings tab
- DHCP Enabled inside the IP addresses
- nothing inside the Default gateways

DNS tab
- nothing inside the DNS server addresses
- Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes
- Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix
- Register this connection's addresses in DNS

Do I need to check anything in the DC?

Thank you for any help.

In news:D257C2C3-5930-49CD-B233-3FE360A39D98@microsoft.com,
Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> [...]
>
> - Automatically update DHCP client information in DNS
> - Enable updates for DNS clients that do not support
> dynamic updates
>
> Scope Options:
> 006 DNS Servers Standard 192.168.1.16
> 015 DNS Domain Name Standarad XXXX.com
>
> NOTE: Server Options have nothing setup.
>
> On a Windows 2000 client machine:
>
> Full Computer Name: peterw2k.
> Domain: XXXX
>
> General tab
> - Obtain an IP address automatically
> - Obtain DNS server address automatically
>
> IP Settings tab
> - DHCP Enabled inside the IP addresses
> - nothing inside the Default gateways
>
> DNS tab
> - nothing inside the DNS server addresses
> - Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes
> - Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix
> - Register this connection's addresses in DNS

This may help you:
314822 - DHCP Dynamic DNS Registration for Windows 2000 Clients Does Not
Work:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314822&Product=win2000

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

peter

Hi Kevin,

I just tried it by checking the option Use this connection's DNS suffix in DNS registrations but still nothing is updated to the DNS and nothing in Event Viewer.

The problem is not limited to Windows 2000 clients. It happens to all DHCP clients.

BTW, do you see anything wrong with the configurations I posted?

Thank you.

In news:86692949-DD51-4AAD-AF0B-57CEEE00C320@microsoft.com,
Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> I just tried it by checking the option Use this
> connection's DNS suffix in DNS registrations but still
> nothing is updated to the DNS and nothing in Event
> Viewer.
>
> The problem is not limited to Windows 2000 clients. It
> happens to all DHCP clients.
>
> BTW, do you see anything wrong with the configurations I
> posted?

After taking a closer look, I have a one question, is the zone you're trying
to dynamically register in a single-label name (domain rather than
domain.com)

I get this from your original post:
Full Computer Name: test.XXXX
Domain: XXXX

Single-label DNS names are a serious problem for DNS because there is no
hierarchy, plus Win2kSP4 and later, WinXP and Win2k3 cannot register in a
single-label domain.

If you are planning an upgrade to Active Directory it is highly recommended
you use a multi-label domain name.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

peter

Hi Kevin,

Regarding your question "is the zone you're trying
to dynamically register in a single-label name (domain rather than
domain.com)", I'm not sure what you mean. If I go to the DNS and under the Forward Lookup Zone, the zone is named "XXXX.com". For individual computer, if I go to Network Identification, the domain is "XXXX".

I hope these info will answer your question. If not, you just let me know where I should check.

In news:DB2D38B3-E4FD-4DD3-8E73-B58764274D7A@microsoft.com,
Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Regarding your question "is the zone you're trying
> to dynamically register in a single-label name (domain
> rather than
> domain.com)", I'm not sure what you mean. If I go to the
> DNS and under the Forward Lookup Zone, the zone is named
> "XXXX.com". For individual computer, if I go to Network
> Identification, the domain is "XXXX".
>
> I hope these info will answer your question. If not, you
> just let me know where I should check.

Could you post an ipconfig /all?

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

peter

Hi Kevin,

From Windows 2000 client machine,

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : peterw2k
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : XXXX.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : XXXX.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-5A-01-EA-7C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.31
Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 192.168.1.99
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 14, 2004 12:47:37 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 22, 2004 12:47:37 PM

From Windows 2000 Server which is the DNS and DHCP:

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : test
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : XXXX
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : XXXX.com

Ethernet adapter Intel Fast Ethernet LAN Controller - onboard:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-B0-D0-49-5D-96
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
192.168.1.16
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.31
Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 192.168.1.99

Thank you for your help,

Petr

In news:57A0453D-5DB4-417F-8648-D5C07AD64905@microsoft.com,
Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> From Windows 2000 client machine,
>
> Windows 2000 IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : peterw2k
> Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : XXXX.com
>
> Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : XXXX.com
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL
> 10/100 PCI TX NIC (3C905B-TX)
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-10-5A-01-EA-7C
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
> Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
> DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.16

> Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.31
> Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 192.168.1.99
> Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, July 14,
> 2004 12:47:37 PM
> Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, July 22,
> 2004 12:47:37 PM

This machine should be able to register if you check the box "Use the
connection's DNS suffix in DNS registration" and "Register this connection's
addresses in DNS" on the DNS tab.

> From Windows 2000 Server which is the DNS and DHCP:
>
> Windows 2000 IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : test
> Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : XXXX
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : XXXX.com
>
> Ethernet adapter Intel Fast Ethernet LAN Controller -
> onboard:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100
> Network Connection
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-B0-D0-49-5D-96
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> 192.168.1.16
> Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.31
> Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 192.168.1.99

This machine will not be able to register in XXXX.com because its Primary
DNS suffix is XXXX and it does not have a Connection specific DNS suffix.
For this machine to register, one of these must have XXXX.com for its DNS
suffix.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

In news:D257C2C3-5930-49CD-B233-3FE360A39D98@microsoft.com,
Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
<snip>

> Note: I notice that under the Advanced tab of the Test Properties in
> the DNS, Load zone data on startup is set to "From Active Directory
> and registry". My understanding of our LAN is not using Active
> Directory. How can I verify that our LAN is not using Active
> Directory?

<snip>

> Do I need to check anything in the DC?
>
> Thank you for any help.

Actually it appears you do have an AD domain, that is if you have the option
for loading the zone from AD and especially if you are aware that you have a
DC. Goto to this DC and under Administrative Tools, check if you have a link
for:
"Active DIrectory Users and Computers"
"Actice Directory Sites and Services"
"Actice Directory Domains"

If you do, do me a favor and open up Active Directory Users and Computers.
The domain name should show up in there. Part of the registration rules is
this 3 basic things:

Primary DNS Suffix matches the AD domain name.
Zone name in DNS matches the domain name and updates set to at least allow.
Point your DNS addresses in IP properties only to your internal DNS that
hosts the AD zone.

--
Regards,
Ace

so all can benefit.

and confers no rights.

A lifetime commitment for a pig.
--
=================================

peter

Hi Ace,

I will check the DC tomorrow. Just to let you know that I remember when I was poking around the DNS yesterday and try to create a new zone in DNS, the Active Directory-integrated option is disabled.

Thank you,

Peter

"Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:D257C2C3-5930-49CD-B233-3FE360A39D98@microsoft.com,
> Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> asked for help and I offered my
> suggestions below:
> <snip>
> >
> > Note: I notice that under the Advanced tab of the Test Properties in
> > the DNS, Load zone data on startup is set to "From Active Directory
> > and registry". My understanding of our LAN is not using Active
> > Directory. How can I verify that our LAN is not using Active
> > Directory?
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > Do I need to check anything in the DC?
> >
> > Thank you for any help.
>
> Actually it appears you do have an AD domain, that is if you have the option
> for loading the zone from AD and especially if you are aware that you have a
> DC. Goto to this DC and under Administrative Tools, check if you have a link
> for:
> "Active DIrectory Users and Computers"
> "Actice Directory Sites and Services"
> "Actice Directory Domains"
>
> If you do, do me a favor and open up Active Directory Users and Computers.
> The domain name should show up in there. Part of the registration rules is
> this 3 basic things:
>
> Primary DNS Suffix matches the AD domain name.
> Zone name in DNS matches the domain name and updates set to at least allow.
> Point your DNS addresses in IP properties only to your internal DNS that
> hosts the AD zone.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ace

> so all can benefit.

> and confers no rights.

> Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
>
> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
> A lifetime commitment for a pig.
> --
> =================================

In news:57A0453D-5DB4-417F-8648-D5C07AD64905@microsoft.com,
Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> From Windows 2000 Server which is the DNS and DHCP:
>
> Windows 2000 IP Configuration
>
> Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : test
> Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . : XXXX
> Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
> DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : XXXX.com
>
> Ethernet adapter Intel Fast Ethernet LAN Controller -
> onboard:
>
> Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100
> Network Connection
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-B0-D0-49-5D-96
> DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
> 192.168.1.16
> Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.31
> Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 192.168.1.99

In addition to my previous post, I need to know the story on this server,
especially about the Primary DNS suffix. It is a single-label suffix,
Win2kSP4 and later cannot register in a single-label domain. You will need
to fix the Primary DNS suffix on the machine, especially if you plan on
installing Active Directory. Single-label names are a big problem for Active
Directory and DNS because it has no hierarchy to follow.
To correct the Primary DNS suffix on this machine, right click on My
Computer choose properties and select the Network ID tab, click the button
to change the name , then click the More button.

Before you decide on your AD domain name, you need to understand that if you
choose the same AD name as your public name it is going to cause your some
problems. These problems are not as serious as if it were a single-label
domain, there is a workaround for them. But, to reduce the administrative
tasks for your AD domain I suggest using a different name for AD like
"XXXX.local", or "local.XXXX.com" (you can substitute "local" for a name of
your choice, LAN, CORP, or whatever) Just make sure that the name you choose
is the name you put in for the Primary DNS suffix.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

peter

Hi Ace,

I check the DC and there is no link to "Active DIrectory Users and Computers"
"Actice Directory Sites and Services"
"Actice Directory Domains". One important thing I guess you may have missed from my original post is that the domain is a Windows NT which I don't recall that it can support Active Directory.

Thanks,

Peter

"Ace Fekay [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:D257C2C3-5930-49CD-B233-3FE360A39D98@microsoft.com,
> Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> asked for help and I offered my
> suggestions below:
> <snip>
> >
> > Note: I notice that under the Advanced tab of the Test Properties in
> > the DNS, Load zone data on startup is set to "From Active Directory
> > and registry". My understanding of our LAN is not using Active
> > Directory. How can I verify that our LAN is not using Active
> > Directory?
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > Do I need to check anything in the DC?
> >
> > Thank you for any help.
>
> Actually it appears you do have an AD domain, that is if you have the option
> for loading the zone from AD and especially if you are aware that you have a
> DC. Goto to this DC and under Administrative Tools, check if you have a link
> for:
> "Active DIrectory Users and Computers"
> "Actice Directory Sites and Services"
> "Actice Directory Domains"
>
> If you do, do me a favor and open up Active Directory Users and Computers.
> The domain name should show up in there. Part of the registration rules is
> this 3 basic things:
>
> Primary DNS Suffix matches the AD domain name.
> Zone name in DNS matches the domain name and updates set to at least allow.
> Point your DNS addresses in IP properties only to your internal DNS that
> hosts the AD zone.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ace

> so all can benefit.

> and confers no rights.

> Microsoft Windows MVP - Active Directory
>
> HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken;
> A lifetime commitment for a pig.
> --
> =================================

peter

Hi Kevin,

The DC of our LAN is a Windows NT4 server. I believe it does not support Active Directory. We're planning to move to Windows 2003 later.

For now (not using AD), do I need to change single-label XXXX to multi-label such as XXXX.local so Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 2003 machines will be registered to DNS dynamically? If yes, do I just change the Primary DNS suffix of the DNS server?

Thanks,

Peter

In news:930E6889-E36B-4BBF-9988-2B3093AB8F41@microsoft.com,
Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> The DC of our LAN is a Windows NT4 server. I believe it
> does not support Active Directory. We're planning to
> move to Windows 2003 later.
>
> For now (not using AD), do I need to change single-label
> XXXX to multi-label such as XXXX.local so Windows 2000,
> Windows XP, Windows 2003 machines will be registered to
> DNS dynamically? If yes, do I just change the Primary DNS
> suffix of the DNS server?

Yes, change the Primary DNS suffix.
Then as I said if you install AD on this Win2k server and make it an AD
domain controller, name the domain on it XXXX.local. All you need to do then
is set up trust between this AD domain and your NT4 domain then migrate the
computer and user accounts to the new AD domain using ADMT.
This way all users and their profiles are migrated to the AD domain.

--

In news:DAC37245-73F0-4086-81DF-1A674627AFBA@microsoft.com,
Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> Hi Ace,
>
> I check the DC and there is no link to "Active DIrectory Users and
> Computers" "Actice Directory Sites and Services"
> "Actice Directory Domains". One important thing I guess you may
> have missed from my original post is that the domain is a Windows NT
> which I don't recall that it can support Active Directory.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

I see, I missed that part about NT. Changes the whole pic. Follow Kevin's
recommendations on name choosing. Its important.

Ace

peter

Hi Kevin,

After I change the Primary DNS suffix of the DNS server to xxxx.local, do I need to change the NS records in the DNS since they are something like test.xxxx?

Thanks,

Peter

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:930E6889-E36B-4BBF-9988-2B3093AB8F41@microsoft.com,
> Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Hi Kevin,
> >
> > The DC of our LAN is a Windows NT4 server. I believe it
> > does not support Active Directory. We're planning to
> > move to Windows 2003 later.
> >
> > For now (not using AD), do I need to change single-label
> > XXXX to multi-label such as XXXX.local so Windows 2000,
> > Windows XP, Windows 2003 machines will be registered to
> > DNS dynamically? If yes, do I just change the Primary DNS
> > suffix of the DNS server?
>
> Yes, change the Primary DNS suffix.
> Then as I said if you install AD on this Win2k server and make it an AD
> domain controller, name the domain on it XXXX.local. All you need to do then
> is set up trust between this AD domain and your NT4 domain then migrate the
> computer and user accounts to the new AD domain using ADMT.
> This way all users and their profiles are migrated to the AD domain.
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ============================
> --
> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your
> newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
> issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
> email. ==========================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> It will strip signature out and more
> Keep a back up of your OE settings and folders with
> OEBackup:

peter

Hi Ace,

Sorry for the confusion. I should have emphasized that since I believe most companies will move DC to Windows 2000 instead of staying at Windows NT while other computers are using newer OS.

Peter

In news:4DFC45D8-99A4-4A9B-9D35-421287B43965@microsoft.com,
Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> After I change the Primary DNS suffix of the DNS server
> to xxxx.local, do I need to change the NS records in the
> DNS since they are something like test.xxxx?

Yes, you'll need to fix the NS records, too.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

peter

Hi Kevin,

I guess I will change the Primary DNS Suffix of the DNS Server later. Besides the NS records in the DNS, I guess I may need to change the individual machines if they have use "XXXX" as Primary DNS Suffix in "DNS Suffix and NetBIOS Computer Name screen" or as DNS Suffix in the "Advanced TCP/IP Settings screen."

How about the DNS Domain Name in the DHCP Scope Option? Currently, it has "XXXX.com". My gut feeling tells me that no need to change this one.

I hope I'm not being too cautious.:) But I guess I need to since I'm not familiar with all these.

Thanks,

Peter

In news:4AD21073-5334-4067-A8D4-49ECB86D53F6@microsoft.com,
Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> I guess I will change the Primary DNS Suffix of the DNS
> Server later. Besides the NS records in the DNS, I guess
> I may need to change the individual machines if they have
> use "XXXX" as Primary DNS Suffix in "DNS Suffix and
> NetBIOS Computer Name screen" or as DNS Suffix in the
> "Advanced TCP/IP Settings screen."
>
> How about the DNS Domain Name in the DHCP Scope Option?
> Currently, it has "XXXX.com". My gut feeling tells me
> that no need to change this one.
>
> I hope I'm not being too cautious.:) But I guess I need
> to since I'm not familiar with all these.

Nothing wrong with being cautious, change the scope, too. The Primary DNS
suffix on the rest of the clients will change if you join them to an AD
domain. But if they all have the single-label Primary DNS suffix you should
just as well change them. NT4 domains don't use a DNS suffix anyway, they
strictly use NetBIOS broadcasts.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

peter

Hi Kevin,

We won't add AD until we move to Windows 2003. I hope soon.

I hope you can clarify why I need to change the DNS Domain Name of the DHCP Scope Option.

Since the current setting in DNS/DHCP server is having "XXXX" as the Primary DNS suffix and "XXXX.com" as the DNS Domain Name of the DHCP Scope Option, is this incorrect already?

After I change the Primary DNS suffix to "XXXX.local", what should be the DNS Domain Name of the DHCP Scope Option?

Does DNS Domain Name of the DHCP Scope Option need to be same a zone name?

I get really confused about "NT4 domains don't use a DNS suffix anyway, they
strictly use NetBIOS broadcasts." I thought we use DNS to stay away from NetBIOS name resolution. If NT4 domain don't use a DNS suffix and use NetBIOS, what does DNS good for in NT4 domain?

I hope you can excuse me for asking all these dumb questions since I don't have too much background in networking. I get involved in this because I notice that there is name resolution problem in the LAN if I disable NBT and then I find out that no DHCP machines are registered in the DNS.:-(

Well, it is always good to know more about networking.:)

Thanks,

Peter

In news:103B6096-7256-4685-95D4-7BF8143C38BB@microsoft.com,
Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> asked for help and I offered my
suggestions below:
> Hi Ace,
>
> Sorry for the confusion. I should have emphasized that since I
> believe most companies will move DC to Windows 2000 instead of
> staying at Windows NT while other computers are using newer OS.
>
> Peter

Got it! :)

Kevin seems to have it taken care of for you. Wish the best in your upgrade.

Ace

In news:8F6E4B80-0698-4005-A5D8-39EFB64FCFF8@microsoft.com,
Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> We won't add AD until we move to Windows 2003. I hope
> soon.
>
> I hope you can clarify why I need to change the DNS
> Domain Name of the DHCP Scope Option.
>
> Since the current setting in DNS/DHCP server is having
> "XXXX" as the Primary DNS suffix and "XXXX.com" as the
> DNS Domain Name of the DHCP Scope Option, is this
> incorrect already?

If your primary DNS suffix or any suffix using a single-label is useless in
Win2kSP4 and later, XP and Win2k3 because these machines cannot register in
a single-label domain, unless you make registry entries on those machines.
If you don't want to make these entries then why do it in the first place.
Make sure any zone and domain name has a multi-label suffix.
Now if that suffix is XXXX.com then that would indicate that you have a
local zone for that name, and if that name is the same as your public name
then DNS won't forward queries in that name to the public servers. Then you
will need to add public records to the internal zone.

> After I change the Primary DNS suffix to "XXXX.local",
> what should be the DNS Domain Name of the DHCP Scope
> Option?

XXXX.local, this is for legacy clients that cannot register in DNS.

> Does DNS Domain Name of the DHCP Scope Option need to be
> same a zone name?

Yes, for two reasons, DHCP uses this option to know which zone to register
clients that don't support DDNS. Client that do support DDNS use this in the
Connection specific DNS suffix.
It is possible for clients that support DDNS to register in two Forward
Lookup Zones, one for the Primary DNS suffix and one for the Connection
specific suffix.

> I get really confused about "NT4 domains don't use a DNS
> suffix anyway, they
> strictly use NetBIOS broadcasts." I thought we use DNS
> to stay away from NetBIOS name resolution. If NT4 domain
> don't use a DNS suffix and use NetBIOS, what does DNS
> good for in NT4 domain?

In an NT4 domain the alternate to NetBIOS broadcasts is WINS, domain
controllers are not located in DNS.

> I hope you can excuse me for asking all these dumb
> questions since I don't have too much background in
> networking. I get involved in this because I notice that
> there is name resolution problem in the LAN if I disable
> NBT and then I find out that no DHCP machines are
> registered in the DNS.:-(
>
> Well, it is always good to know more about networking.:)

NT4 does not use DNS for domain controller location, it basically Broadcasts
to the Network "I'm the domain Controller"
Whereas in an AD domain, its members know the domain name and go look in DNS
for the name of the Domain controller, the PDC emulator still makes itself
known on the network for legacy clients. But once Win2k and later
Authenticate using Kerberos, they don't want to go back to the NT4
mechanism.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
Hope This Helps
============================
newsreader so that others may learn and benefit from your
issue. To respond directly to me remove the nospam. from my
email. ==========================================
http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
It will strip signature out and more
OEBackup:

peter

Hi Kevin,

If I understand you correctly, the DNS Domain Name should not be same as the internet domain name. So, if www.XXXX.com is the internet domain name, the DNS Domain Name should not be "XXXX.com"

Also, the Primary DNS suffix should equal to one of the zones and DNS Domain Name of the DHCP Scope Option should be same as one of the zones.

If all these are correct, it means I should have the following:

internet domain name: www.XXXX.com
domain name:XXXX
zone, DNS Domain Name of the DHCP Scope Option: XXXX.LAN
Primary DNS suffix (if needed): XXXX.LAN

When do I need to add Primary DNS suffix to a computer?

Thank you,

Peter

In news:A30FDA5F-0A71-47D3-B913-27AA15F7F491@microsoft.com,
Peter <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> posted a question
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> If I understand you correctly, the DNS Domain Name should
> not be same as the internet domain name. So, if
> www.XXXX.com is the internet domain name, the DNS Domain
> Name should not be "XXXX.com"

In your example the domain name is "XXXX.com", the "www" is a host name, it
is not part of the domain name. It is a third level name, the only TLD you
can register a third level name in is in the .name TLD.

> Also, the Primary DNS suffix should equal to one of the
> zones and DNS Domain Name of the DHCP Scope Option should
> be same as one of the zones.
>
> If all these are correct, it means I should have the
> following:
>
> internet domain name: www.XXXX.com
> domain name:XXXX
No, the internet domain name is XXXX.com

> zone, DNS Domain Name of the DHCP Scope Option: XXXX.LAN
> Primary DNS suffix (if needed): XXXX.LAN
>
> When do I need to add Primary DNS suffix to a computer?
It is usually added when you join in to a domain that uses a DNS suffix,
such as when you add it to an Active Directory domain. NT4 domains do not
need a DNS suffix because the machines are located using NetBIOS broadcasts.