Question How to setup extended wifi from the house to a barn

Apr 5, 2019
My family is attempting to ease their life by setting up a camera out in their calving barn. We started with a problem that camera needs an internet connection out in barn. My idea is that we could extend our wifi connect from our house out to the barn. Only problem is I have no idea where I should start to do this project. So I ask, what exactly should I get and what do I need to do to get wifi out to our barn?

What is the distance? Ethernet will get you 100M. point-to-point wireless can go much further or fiber.

Once you get a line out to the barn you can install a wireless access point.

Is there power out there already? 48v POE AF/AT can go 100M and should be able to power both.
unifi AC in wall allows POE passthrough. it's not a strong AP. it's good for a couple of rooms.

Last edited:
If you have power running from the house to the barn (if they're on the same circuit breaker) you can use a powerline wifi extender. Should be more than fine for a single security camera stream. Powerline is quick and easy, just plug one end into your router in the house and a receptacle and the other end into any receptacle in the barn.

TRENDING THREADS