[SOLVED] How to Setup RAID 1 on AMD Ryzen 5950x

Eggz

Distinguished
Hi All,

Help! I have been using RAID 1 for years, but only on Intel setups. My new Ryzen 5950x/RTX 3090 with hardline water cooling is great, but I can't for the life of me figure out what I should do to setup RAID 1. I have two (2) working SATA HDDs that are 8TB each, and I just want a single 8TB drive visible with the other automatically duplicating the content - normal RAID 1 stuff. The SATA settings in the UEFI are set to AHCI by default. When I change it to RAID and boot into Windows, the drives just disappear and aren't even visible in Disk Management. I'm on Windows 11. I downloaded what seem like the relevant drivers for my motherboard and storage controller (link to my motherboard). Here's where I found the X570 drivers I downloaded. Can anyone please help?

Thanks!

-Eggz

D

Deleted member 14196

Do you have your 8 TB of data backed up somewhere else or is it just on the redundant disc? because if it is that’s a major mistake you’re making. No raid configuration is equal to a good backup solution so I hope you back up your data. Don’t rely on raid

Eggz

Distinguished

I have the bios settings with SATA set to RAID and a RAID 1 array with both disks, but neither HDD (nor the array) is visible in Windows. The link you provided mentioned adding the array as part of setting up Windows on install, but Windows is already installed on my computer. Do you know what should be the next step from here?

Do you have your 8 TB of data backed up somewhere else or is it just on the redundant disc? because if it is that’s a major mistake you’re making. No raid configuration is equal to a good backup solution so I hope you back up your data. Don’t rely on raid

Yes, it all goes to a NAS and some goes to cloud storage. I just like to buy pairs of HDD for my desktops to give me peace of mind on drive failures. These things have moving parts that will eventually fail, so I like to plan for it. ;-)

Last edited: