How to share a USB microphone between two computers.

DriftingFable

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I've recently cleaned up my desktop with a fresh Windows installation and I'd like to keep the performance I've gained. I've got a laptop next to me with discord and my chrome tabs already off-loaded. So I figured why not use it for voice as well instead cludging my desktop with a superfluous discord re-install. Only thing is, I'd really like to not have to keep digging in the back of my main rig for the USB port. Particularly when I'd need it for audio recording or something. I've already got both PCs linked via Multiplicity3 which shares system audio, but I don't believe that's ever covered my mic audio.

My mic is a RODE-NT USB, it has a 3.5 port but I believe its only for audio monitoring for karaoke instead of something like the Blue Yeti Pro. Unlike most who've asked this question, I've little intentions to stream and thus do not need simultaneous use between both PCs. Just looking for ideas relating to a simple solution that minimizes physically connect/reconnecting the device. Would something like a USB switch box work out, long extension cords to make the physical swapping less of a drag, or is there something else more effective I haven't considered?

Thank you in advance for any thoughts you have on this matter.

A usb switch box can work but discord is not resource intensive what so ever so why not install it?