[SOLVED] How to shrink my display

joe-pringle

Reputable
Feb 2, 2019
I have an ultrawide monitor and some older games don't run well with the new aspect ratio regardless of what settings i change in-game. My preffered solution to this would be to temporarily "shrink" the display to 1920x1440, without any stretching, so the image would be displayed normally in the middle of the monitor with probably 2 black bars on each side of the monitor. Is there any setting i can tweak in windows, or software i can install, or even hardware i can by which will let me achieve this? I've done a lot of googling but haven't found anything effective so far. Any ideas?

Solution
Might be a setting on the monitor to do 1:1 scaling, but can't really say without a monitor.

If you have an Nvidia GPU I believe you can turn no-scaling on in there. Not sure if AMD or Intel graphics offer the same thing. You might also need the "custom resolution utility" to force the resolution you want before you launch whatever.

Some monitors just do that. I know my PG279Q will happily run 640x480 rescaled with black bars on the left and right. My old TV wouldn't re-scale 640x480, but it would put the TV in 720p mode and put the 640x480 area in the middle with black bars all around. Given the size of the TV, not a problem still made like a 32" 4:3 sized output, if not more.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Might be a setting on the monitor to do 1:1 scaling, but can't really say without a monitor.

If you have an Nvidia GPU I believe you can turn no-scaling on in there. Not sure if AMD or Intel graphics offer the same thing. You might also need the "custom resolution utility" to force the resolution you want before you launch whatever.

Some monitors just do that. I know my PG279Q will happily run 640x480 rescaled with black bars on the left and right. My old TV wouldn't re-scale 640x480, but it would put the TV in 720p mode and put the 640x480 area in the middle with black bars all around. Given the size of the TV, not a problem still made like a 32" 4:3 sized output, if not more.

Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I would think this would be a setting in the (video) control panel settings. Set up a "global" custom resolution before entering the game.

In some of my Tom Clancy titles I can go create a custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel. I don't have to be utilizing the custom resolution, but it will make it available to the game in it's settings, pre game load like the main menu area. In my own case it's frame rate related, not resolution.

Mar 15, 2021
You could try setting up a custom resolution in your Graphics Drivers Display settings. And whenever you run one of those games you use that one. But the resolution of the game and the resolution of your monitor ( the one you set up) must match.