How To Skip The Windows 10 Anniversary Rollout Period And Update Now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3ogdy

Distinguished

1. Windows Defender cannot be disabled even if you have your antivirus enabled? Oh, that's wonderful ...wasn't Windows Defender configured to send whatever it considers "suspicious files" from your data to Microsoft? No wonder you cannot disable it, it's needed for improved tracking and data collection from your computer. I doubt even the "send files to Microsoft" option from the Configuration menu would make any difference, dog gamn it.

2. Have you tried running them in compatibility mode? If you really are stuck on 10, try running them from 10 after installing them on a Virtual Machine with 7. VMWare had this option for the user to be able to click a shortcut in your host OS and seamlessly run that from the guest OS you had previously installed in a virtual machine. Windows XP Mode might also be needed as part of Windows Virtual PC.

I remember doing that for a friend who wanted to run GearHead on Windows h8 and it worked wonders.

In short, your problem is not the programs you use, but rather the program (operating system) you appear to be forced to use.

3ogdy

Distinguished

Hold up a second...Microsh*t said they were doing all the motherload of tracking, carefully examining when you take a sh...bath....IN ORDER TO IMPROVE CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE. Right, right...you tell me you're the first one on the planet with this dog gamn problem and they couldn't have fixed it before releasing the update...

Dear user,

We hope you're enjoying your Windows 10 Experience,

Microsh*t

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

... what are you babbling about?

1. It's talking about the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, a fairly large update (mine took a good half hour to download, install, etc.) That's the "purpose" of the article, "lol for real."

2. Windows 10 is not "gone." I'm not sure what you're smoking to make that sort of comment. While there [strike]are[/strike] were issues with how they were pushing the "free upgrade" for the last year, that's more of a marketing screwup. And while it won't be on a "billion" devices as soon as planned, it's still gaining ground... like most Windows OSes do after release.

3. There won't be a "Windows 11." This has been discussed for over a year now. Microsoft's plan is for continual updates to Windows 10. (While we'll see how long *that* happens, no, there's no Windows 11 on the roadmap for the future.) They're trying to get away from the 2-3 year release cycle.

egmccann

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
Installed this yesterday on one PC. It took it a while (half an hour? Maybe a bit longer.)

The installation was fairly smooth and straightforward.
Location settings (not that it matters, really, other than checking weather for me - this is a desktop) did seem to get reset.
So far, everything I've tried runs except Civilization V (via Steam.) Other Steam games I've tried have run - though I haven't gone through the full library by far. (Civ V gives an error about reaching the steam servers. I'm not overly worried about it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.