Question How to stop my second HDD from "disconecting"?

wex56

Reputable
Feb 27, 2019
I have a problem with my second HDD. A couple of weeks ago I had only 1TB Seagate HDD and it was working fine, I had all my system files and everything on it. I decided to buy a SSD(Samsung 250GB) and I transferd my system files and important stuff that I use for work on that C drive and I still use that Seagate for games and other things I don't need(e.g. random chrome downloads, scripts and stuff since I am programmer and dont want my C drive to fill up-not important) I have noticed that when I download "bigger" files(1-2GB) my downloads would return error in middle of proccess and I though to myself maybe its chrome problem but last night I tried to download game from steam on that disk and I got error saying Disk Write Error. Googled it and found lot of solutions but can't fix them.( I have already enabaled max performance mode in battery saving and set disk to never turn off or go to sleep, checked if sata cables is lose, i even replaced him with one from other computer)

Help pls :)

Thank you

wex56

Reputable
Feb 27, 2019
When I run that I get this
The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters
detected in file 9FE of name \Grand Theft Auto V\x64\audio\sfx\S_MISC.rpf.

not only for that file but for bunch of them, also I have 800 gigs free space

thank you once again

wex56

Reputable
Feb 27, 2019
I ve done everything you said so far, and I still have problem, chkdisk ran without errors, but last night i tried to download a game(mass effect andromeda) and it got to the 8gigs and it stopped saying location was not found, and then i ran hd tune error scan and it showed errors again, but after i deleted gta v I didn't have any, what could this be. I just wanna make sure its not system causing this, if its faulty hard drive I can replace it with new one

if theres nothing worth keeping on the disk, make it raw by deleting the partition tables.
make up to 2 partitions and quick format them to ntfs.

try and copy the game over again. if you get an error then i would assume the dive has an issue...
also you did use a migration tool to send your o.s to the ssd?

wex56

Reputable
Feb 27, 2019
if theres nothing worth keeping on the disk, make it raw by deleting the partition tables.
make up to 2 partitions and quick format them to ntfs.

try and copy the game over again. if you get an error then i would assume the dive has an issue...
also you did use a migration tool to send your o.s to the ssd?

I will try those things and report back here, I didn't use any migration tools beacuse I did fresh install of my os and I formated that HDD during that install.

Thank you for your answer, Ill try what you posted and If it doesn't work Ill have to buy new one