How to stop rust?!?

Nukpaga

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
So there's rust appearing in my computer case. Not the Rust as in the game, but like when metal oxidizes, from you know MOISTURE! Could this be from keeping my window open? How can I stop it from getting to anything vital?

Solution
that case is made out of steel, and steel is capable of rusting. however, this is why steel cases are painted and generally they are painted with an electrostatic method using good quality baked on paints which bonds well and is good for wear and corrosion resistance.

likely those two brackets were not properly painted or prepared for painting which caused them to rust. if they are the only components rusting in your case than this would make the most sense that they are some sort of defect.

if the case is in warranty you could likely get replacement brackets mailed out for free as this looks like a defect. otherwise, they would need to be sanded down , cleaned and painted. a dark grey paint with metallic fleck like that should be...
any ferrous metal is prone to rust.the one key ingredient in rust is oxygen.if the metal is sealed well enought so that oxygen cannot contact the metal you have no rust.while its doubtful rust is caused by keeping your windows open its likely you are in an area of high humidity.you might want to invest in a dehumidifier.

Nukpaga

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
OP:I do live in in a place of high humidity, but only during the summer (which I've only had this build for around the whole summer). But with that being said my house has a drifter dehumidifier in it. I'm wondering if it is the chemicals (nitrogen) in a canned air spray, which I use to dust my computer. Oh and my case was not cheap $130+.

Alexdiaz

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
Make sure to have more intake fans than exhaust fans. This will make positive pressure that is good. There will be more air coming in then going out so that will not let any dust in UNLESS you don't have dust filters on the intake fans. If you want more info look up JayzTwoCents video about posive-negative air pressure.

Uhm... I'm guessing you didn't read very carefully, because he means rust not dust.

nukpaga,

it would be helpful if you listed what your particular computer case was.

you should also take photos of the rust, host them on tinypic or other site and post links here for us to see.

--

no, canned air will not make your pc rust

yes, it could be caused by leaving the window open in coastal areas but in high humidity areas only its likely going to be the same with the window shut unless you have a dehumidifier in the room.

--

the only thing you can really do once rust sets in is to remove all of your pc components, lightly sand the case and repaint it with some decent paint. you might want to clearcoat it as well.

since you have a humidity problem i would suggest exterior use paint just to be sure.

you can then put everything back in the case and hopefully you will be fine.

--

a case doesnt need to be cheap to have issues associated with being built cheaply. even some $130 cases are built out of mild steel and if they are not painted properly can most certainly rust in the right environment.

again, what case? and link photos.

lordjakian

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I know how to stop rust. Get an aluminum case from your local scrap yard or electronic recycler.

Either that or you buy some sandpaper and spraypaint. I'd go with the aluminum case.

that case is made out of steel, and steel is capable of rusting. however, this is why steel cases are painted and generally they are painted with an electrostatic method using good quality baked on paints which bonds well and is good for wear and corrosion resistance.

likely those two brackets were not properly painted or prepared for painting which caused them to rust. if they are the only components rusting in your case than this would make the most sense that they are some sort of defect.

if the case is in warranty you could likely get replacement brackets mailed out for free as this looks like a defect. otherwise, they would need to be sanded down , cleaned and painted. a dark grey paint with metallic fleck like that should be fairly easy to match if need be.

you will definitely want to address the issue now, or it could spread. i would have a good look around the rest of the case to make well sure that is the only spot that rust is forming.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS