[SOLVED] How to stop Windows from searching inside files

mallomar

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
Old person here. Not great at figuring stuff out. Easily confused.

I have :

Windows 10 Home
Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.1500)

When I search, I only want to search titles -- NOT file content. For example, I searched for the word INFO and I got 119 hits. Only a few of them had the word INFO in the filename.

I've spent a fair bit of time searching for a solution, and I'm getting nowhere. I did find a checkbox that seemed to be relevant -- it mentioned searching file content -- but it was already unchecked.

I'm finding references to indexing and Cortana, but I don't know if either is relevant. If they have something to do with saving info to make searches faster, I probably don't need them.

Could someone please explain if it's possible to disable whatever setting is allowing Windows search to showing me files DON'T have my search word(s) in the file content? I just need to search titles.

Yeah, I know my search is highlighted in yellow in the titles that Windows spits out, but it annoys me that Windows is showing me stuff I didn't ask for.

Thanks.

Solution
well windows in default searches just for name, not file content
it can be changed
search for indexing options and open it, click advanced , file types and change indexing to properties only
D

Deleted member 14196

Better yet use Voidtools application called everything. It is the absolute fastest way to find files on any local Drive that’s connected to your system

mallomar

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2013
well windows in default searches just for name, not file content
it can be changed
search for indexing options and open it, click advanced , file types and change indexing to properties only

That's what perplexes me.

Index Properties Only is already clicked.

Index Properties and File Contents is NOT clicked.

I have no idea if or when settings changed, since I wasn't even aware of the existence of those settings. For what it's worth, I didn't have the problem of searches turning up results where my search was digging into the file contents until recently. I've had my computer for a year or two, and nobody uses it except me. But it sounds like something is overriding my "Index Properties Only" setting. This is all way beyond me.

I wish I'd made a note of when the problem started -- might have been able to tie it into some event, like installing a new program or a Windows update. I think the problem started a couple of months ago. Took me a while to get annoyed enough to try to make it stop.