[SOLVED] How to Stress Test CPU?

Hi all,

I'm trying to overclock my Ryzen CPU. I downloaded Ryzen Master and applied the OC but I just realised the newest version of Ryzen Master doesn't have a "Apply & Test" button. Only an apply button.

Question: What can I do to stress test the CPU and check if the overclock is stable? Should I use something like Cinebench or do you have another software to recommend?

Solution
There are multiple cpu stress tests, and no 'one size fits all' among them. They generally fall into one of two types:
A)Voltage stability: heavy, constantly fluctuating workload
Intel XTU
Asus Realbench
Cinebench R15/R20
Intel Burn Test
Aida64(stress FPU)
Linpack Extreme

B)Thermal stability(cpu cooling): heavy, constant workload
Aida64(stress cpu)
Cpu-Z bench
Furmark Cpu Burner
Occt Small Data Set(no AVX)
Prime 95 Small FFT(AVX disabled)
Occt Small Data Set(AVX)
Prime 95 Small FFT(AVX)

Reference of what the above apps are best suited to are from CompuTronix's Intel Temperature Guide.

Then there's the stress test of the actual applications you use, as already mentioned by sizzling.

JayGau

Honorable
Dec 20, 2016
If you really want to push it to it's limit run prime95 for like an hour and you will see if both stability and cooling are good. For lighter stress test I like cpu-z but most of the time I use aida64 that can stress cpu, ram, drives and gpu at the same time.

Reactions: julienruc

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi all,

I'm trying to overclock my Ryzen CPU. I downloaded Ryzen Master and applied the OC but I just realised the newest version of Ryzen Master doesn't have a "Apply & Test" button. Only an apply button.

Question: What can I do to stress test the CPU and check if the overclock is stable? Should I use something like Cinebench or do you have another software to recommend?
I use OCCT.

Reactions: julienruc

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There are multiple cpu stress tests, and no 'one size fits all' among them. They generally fall into one of two types:
A)Voltage stability: heavy, constantly fluctuating workload
Intel XTU
Asus Realbench
Cinebench R15/R20
Intel Burn Test
Aida64(stress FPU)
Linpack Extreme

B)Thermal stability(cpu cooling): heavy, constant workload
Aida64(stress cpu)
Cpu-Z bench
Furmark Cpu Burner
Occt Small Data Set(no AVX)
Prime 95 Small FFT(AVX disabled)
Occt Small Data Set(AVX)
Prime 95 Small FFT(AVX)

Reference of what the above apps are best suited to are from CompuTronix's Intel Temperature Guide.

Then there's the stress test of the actual applications you use, as already mentioned by sizzling.

Solution
Thank you everyone for your input. I am not trying to do some crazy overclocking but I will use your suggestions.

I think I will simply take a couple of random picks, see if doesn't crash with the overclock I've set. If it doesn't, I will just stick with it and adjust it over time as I use the system.