How to Stress-Test CPUs and PCs (Like We Do)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
Is this like a fancy water cooler im guessing? what about a typical AIO cooler. In fact i have a skyth fuma but may save up to get some kind of AIO water cooling been tryin to find decent reviews on decent water coolers both cheap and if needed high end. not no alpha cooler though lol
Alphacool Eisblock XPX ($73.99 On Newegg)
Alphacool Eiszeit 2000 Chiller

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
This is a high-end compressor cooler for up to 1500 watts heat input. It's a modified version from industry and mostly used to cool the head of powerful laser cutters. Why I'm using this one? To show, which program is able to do it right. If you have additionally limitations from coolers, thermal throttling and other funny things, you will never see the exact difference. I can keep a constant water temperature of 20°C to make all the test results comparable. ;)

I use Aida, Prime 26.6, Superposition, UserBenchmark, MSI's kombustor and I no longer use Heaven. I may be forgetting a couple. But something has always felt a little off. I finally see what it was. My build was missing a hotdog and its bun. I always do love learning from the pros. I placed it on a piece of parchment and instantly I notice a difference.

I routinely check temperatures, loads and other info from my system. I also stress test with different CPU and GPU benchmark/stress test software. Thanks for the info. Page bookmarked.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
As the author of the Intel Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html - I can fully appreciate how much work went into creating this outstanding article, which has been sorely needed!

Since most users test their rigs without a sense of scale for power and temperature, they can't compare apples to apples, especially when combined with major variables such as differences in ambient temperature, hardware configurations and software utilities. This article provides a perspective and some excellent comparisons.

The Intel Temperature Guide differs in its approach toward the topic of processor Core temperatures and cooling with respect to Intel's TDP specifications, and distinguishes between steady workloads for thermal testing versus fluctuating workloads for stability testing. Nevertheless, our results are very similar.

However, since Intel validates their thermal specifications at a steady 100% TDP, it's most appropriate to select utilities that don't overload or underload the CPU. The only utilities I've ever found that come as close as possible to 100% TDP are Prime95 v26.6 Small FFT's as a steady workload for thermal testing, and Asus RealBench as a fluctuating workload for stability testing.

Although the topic of Prime95 (with and without AVX) was covered, I would like to have seen RealBench included in your test suite,since it's widely accepted as an excellent utility for testing overall system stability, and uses a realistic AVX workload.

Otherwise, great work! I was very pleased to read this article!

CT :sol:

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008

That's an awesome resource, CT!

Thermal compound. Why not? People have used condiments between their CPUs and their coolers.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Step 1 - Collect all what I need:
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9NL0QvMjg4NTE3L29yaWdpbmFsL21lbnVlX2hvdF9kb2dfMDEuanBn

Step 2 - Start the oven
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9KL1ovMjg4NDMxL29yaWdpbmFsL21lbnVlX2hvdF9kb2dfMDMuanBn

Step 3 - Enjoy!
aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9LLzAvMjg4NDMyL29yaWdpbmFsL21lbnVlX2hvdF9kb2dfMDQuanBn

The benchmark:

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9LL0YvMjg4NDQ3L29yaWdpbmFsL21lbnVlX2hvdGRvZy5wbmc=

The complete review was so funny, but it was never translated :(

Status
Not open for further replies.