Question how to swap GPU from different pc to test issues

Jun 17, 2024
hi there, recently my pc at my mother's has been acting up after cleaning the GPU and AIO, I have already opened a forum ticket about that issue which helped a bit however it has gone back and started to bug out again, I'm going with the conclusion that I messed up a part while cleaning the GPU and makes it overheat and cause frame drops.

i bought and built a brand new PC for my dads house and it works perfectly well. As I am going back to my mums I though if I was to bring over my new GPU (4060) that I know works perfectly and swap out my old GPU (2070) to see if in fact it is the GPU that is broken or possibly another part. after testing I will bring it back and place it back in the PC and continue to use it

the questions I have is
- is there any steps that I need to take to be able to safely put my new GPU into my old PC such as drivers, or anything I need to look out for that might cause harm to the new GPU?

- after testing am I able to safely plug back in my broken GPU and place my new one back in my new PC without any issues?

I'm just worried by swapping it into a PC with old software and no update or driver for the new GPU it will bug out.

old GPU is - GeForce RTX™ 2070 WINDFORCE 2X 8G
new GPU is - Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4060 AERO OC 8GB

hi there, recently my pc at my mother's has been acting up after cleaning the GPU and AIO, I have already opened a forum ticket about that issue which helped a bit however it has gone back and started to bug out again, I'm going with the conclusion that I messed up a part while cleaning the GPU and makes it overheat and cause frame drops.

i bought and built a brand new PC for my dads house and it works perfectly well. As I am going back to my mums I though if I was to bring over my new GPU (4060) that I know works perfectly and swap out my old GPU (2070) to see if in fact it is the GPU that is broken or possibly another part. after testing I will bring it back and place it back in the PC and continue to use it

the questions I have is
- is there any steps that I need to take to be able to safely put my new GPU into my old PC such as drivers, or anything I need to look out for that might cause harm to the new GPU?

- after testing am I able to safely plug back in my broken GPU and place my new one back in my new PC without any issues?

I'm just worried by swapping it into a PC with old software and no update or driver for the new GPU it will bug out.

old GPU is - GeForce RTX™ 2070 WINDFORCE 2X 8G
new GPU is - Gigabyte Geforce RTX 4060 AERO OC 8GB
Make sure PSU is adequate and with compatible PCIe power leads.
https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download/Before installing new, use DDU to delete and clean all drivers.
Use option for changing GPU (shuts PC down instead of restart). Have new drivers downloaded and ready to install.

Jun 17, 2024
Make sure PSU is adequate and with compatible PCIe power leads.
https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download/Before installing new, use DDU to delete and clean all drivers.
Use option for changing GPU (shuts PC down instead of restart). Have new drivers downloaded and ready to install.
thank you for the reply back, so after doing all that and doing my tests am I able to place the new GPU back into my new PC without having to change anything? like don't want it thinking my the old PC is the main one

Jun 17, 2024
Just do same thing in test PC once you are finished with testing. Since only GPU is changed PC will be same as before doing that.
wait sorry so unplug new gpu , then insure all drivers of old gpu has been uninstalled off old pc, put in new gpu and download the drivers for it on old PC. then after all tests I can place new GPU in the new PC and works fine, then place old GPU in old PC and redownloaded drivers for that?

thanks for your help

wait sorry so unplug gpu , then insure all drivers of old gpu has been uninstalled, put in new gpu and download the drivers for it on old PC. then after all tests I can place new GPU in the new PC and works fine, then place old GPU in old PC and redownloaded drivers for that?

thanks for your help
You have to uninstall drivers before removing GPU and install driver after other GPU is insterted. Windows will install some lementary drivers which you can udate with "real and full" ones downloaded from Nvidia.

Jun 17, 2024
You have to uninstall drivers before removing GPU and install driver after other GPU is insterted. Windows will install some lementary drivers which you can udate with "real and full" ones downloaded from Nvidia.
ok yea sweet so i only need to uninstall the drivers from the pc of the old GPU that is being taken out , but for my GPU that I am swapping from another PC I can just unplug and plug in? so the drivers are installed to the PC only not to the card itself correct?