[SOLVED] How to switch to my own router

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
I have a ASUS router. Do I need to notify Verizon that I am using my own router, or do I just plug it in, set it up and thats it?

Solution
Do I have to contact support to reset my port or theres a guide to do it myself? It takes them forever to answer
You can unplug your current router. Wait for a couple hours, then plug in your new router. Maybe unplug when you go to bed, then plug in the new one in the morning. It might work or it might not. The surest way is to call FIOS.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
Unknown. Which Verizon services do you have? FIOS internet only? DSL? FIOS + phone? FIOS + TV ?
What is the model of the Verizon provided router ?
What is the model of the Asus router?
I just FIOS internet only. The one they gave is the MI424WR rev. I. I have the ASUS AC1700 RT-ACRH17 DUAL BAND

kanewolf

Titan
Ethernet cable
Since it comes in via ethernet, you don't have any other FIOS services and your Asus is an ethernet router, you should be able to swap. The fastest way is to probably call support, tell them you are swapping routers, and have them reset your port. The MAC address of the Actiontec router is remembered by the Verizon network. To swap to another router the system has to forget the old MAC address. Quickest way is by contacting support.

wm3797

Reputable
Apr 7, 2020
Since it comes in via ethernet, you don't have any other FIOS services and your Asus is an ethernet router, you should be able to swap. The fastest way is to probably call support, tell them you are swapping routers, and have them reset your port. The MAC address of the Actiontec router is remembered by the Verizon network. To swap to another router the system has to forget the old MAC address. Quickest way is by contacting support.
Do I have to contact support to reset my port or theres a guide to do it myself? It takes them forever to answer

kanewolf

Titan
You can unplug your current router. Wait for a couple hours, then plug in your new router. Maybe unplug when you go to bed, then plug in the new one in the morning. It might work or it might not. The surest way is to call FIOS.

Solution