Question How to tell if a mismatched modular cable damaged components?

Callumhalo

Reputable
Jun 28, 2014
Hey!

I just got a new pc from market place, the prebuild was cheaper than my planned build so I ended up getting this one.

After everything was good I asked if I could have the original cables because I planned on adding another ssd to do a hackintosh setup.

So he gave me a modular sata power cable.

Today I got the ssd.
I got the new modular cable and was trying to put it in with horrible space. (for some reason I couldn't pull the Psu out, so I was sort of mazing around with my fingers.) I finally got it to line up and pushed it enough to feel like it was in properly. I then (stupidly), put the new power cord in the old hdds to test if it was working properly.

The pc flashed it's usual colours and then didn't turn on.

I immediately felt a bit panicked, so I put the old cords in and started it with no problem.

I now saw that the spare cable said ax850 only on it somewhere.

So my question is, since everything is working correctly to my knowledge is there anyway of telling whether or not turning the pc on with the wrong caused any damage to anything?

Is it possible in this situation that the damage could have spread to more than the 2 hdds in question?

Or is it the 2 hdds were the only things under fire so nothing else could have been fried?

I've been freaking out a bit on how I could hsve fried my whole pc and the money i just spent going down the drain! Just trying to calm down by getting some clarity on what the possible damages are!

Would this lower the lifetime of the hdds or Psu? Or is it fine. I hsve a rm650 and the sata pins are from an ax850

Tldr: got given the wrong modular cable and could have fried my pc. Is there anyway to check for potential damage?

Thanks!

Callum!