Question How to tell if a PCI-e slot is broken

himwhynot

Commendable
Nov 19, 2018
Yesterday morning I was plugging in my VR headset's displayport and I brushed against the adapter to my monitor. Without going into to much detail I thought it was the adapter then I thought it was the cable, and it was neither of those. I decided to use my old GPU since I thought my current GPU was dead. So I plugged it in and when I plugged it in my monitor still didn't work. I then thought it was my monitor so I used my TV and that also didn't work. I've come to the conclusion that my PCI-e slot is dead, and since I can't access my other PCI-e slot I may just get a new motherboard. However, just to be sure, how can I fully assure myself that it is my PCI-e slot that is broken? Or is it really broken based off of what I described?

Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA B350M-DS3H

RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB

GPU: GTX660 TI-DC2-2GD5

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400

It would be really odd to break the video card or the slot if you just touch a video cable. Only way to see if the slot is good it to install something in it that you know works and that the issue is not from anything else. That would leave the slot as the most likely thing.