[SOLVED] How to tell if an issue is with my modem or router

jayhonconners

Commendable
Feb 26, 2019
recently my internet has been going out. My WiFi network stays online I just can’t access the web. On the router and in the router’s app it says there is no internet connection, but the modem says there is an internet connection.
the modem is one of those cheap crappy ones that ISPs give you for free, and the router is a new high end one, which is why I’m thinking it is the modem. Any thoughts on how to tell/fix?

Solution
The modem page should just be at 192.168.100.1 and one of the tabs should have a log or something like that--no login at all. :)

Like on my sb6190, the 'event log' tab is right there at the top--yours should have something similar somewhere:
servlet.ImageServer
You should be able to see the modem status page at 192.168.100.1. If the modem status looks okay, I would call your isp and see if they have an outage. It also won't hurt to power cycle your modem and router just to make sure they are not the issue.

jayhonconners

Commendable
Feb 26, 2019
Router is a netgear nighthawk r6900v2, modem is Cisco DPC3216

as for the potential ISP maintenance, it seems to not be an issue for others, only me.

SamirD, I went to that router page while I was having difficulties with the internet. I was connected to the network but the page for the modem wouldn’t load. After the internet problem fixed itself the page is back online and I can use it. I assume that means it’s an issue with the modem?

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Not sure it makes a difference with your current problem, but have you told your ISP that you're using your own router? Many modems installed today have an internal router which can be remotely disabled by the ISP. That way the modem will only function as a modem and not a router.

In any case. Your ISP should have logs showing if you had interrupted service. The next time it happens, call them and ask if they can reach the modem on your address.

jayhonconners

Commendable
Feb 26, 2019
Not sure it makes a difference with your current problem, but have you told your ISP that you're using your own router? Many modems installed today have an internal router which can be remotely disabled by the ISP. That way the modem will only function as a modem and not a router.

In any case. Your ISP should have logs showing if you had interrupted service. The next time it happens, call them and ask if they can reach the modem on your address.
Unfortunately it only lasts a few minutes, so I'm afraid I wouldn't have time to contact my ISP when it happens. Yes I am using my own router, however, I've had this one for about 8 months now with 0 problems. I wouldn't think it's an issue with the router. I probably will ask my ISP if they see any problem with my network on their end though.

Router is a netgear nighthawk r6900v2, modem is Cisco DPC3216

as for the potential ISP maintenance, it seems to not be an issue for others, only me.

SamirD, I went to that router page while I was having difficulties with the internet. I was connected to the network but the page for the modem wouldn’t load. After the internet problem fixed itself the page is back online and I can use it. I assume that means it’s an issue with the modem?
It depends. If you see the logs in the modem and you should see where the modem had issues connecting then it could just be by design as some modems won't have their web page working until they're fully ready.

But if you look at the modem logs and there's no information there about issues, it potentially could be the modem. If you don't use the phone portion of it and your isp allows you to get your own modem, you could quickly go buy a compatible one and swap it out and see if the problem fixes itself. If so, then you know the solution and have plenty of time to return the modem if need be, talk to your isp for replacement equipment, etc.

jayhonconners

Commendable
Feb 26, 2019
Got it, don't currently know the password to the modem, but I know for this model if I have to, I can reset it to the default password and check. Thank you for all your help, I'll be sure to check back if there is anything else

The modem page should just be at 192.168.100.1 and one of the tabs should have a log or something like that--no login at all. :)

Like on my sb6190, the 'event log' tab is right there at the top--yours should have something similar somewhere:
servlet.ImageServer

Last edited:
Solution