[SOLVED] How to tell if this mother board has on board graphics

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
Hi,

i am thinking about getting this MOB.

ASRock > B550M-ITX/ac

However, i am not sure if this has onboard graphics or not. I think it does but not sure.

Anyway, long term i plan on buying an external grphics card but not right now since prices are way high.

Solution
the cpu i was thinking of using is the amd ryzen 5 3600....does this have it

No it does not. The only Ryzen CPU with integrated graphics has a "G" after the number. Like the 3400G.

AMD is pretty meh in that department. I would recommend you get the 3600 and a GPU.

Or go for the 3400G or wait for the next AMD CPU with integrated graphics that is yet to be released.
Hi Welchs101.

Motherboard does not have integrated graphics. Motherboard has graphics port to use with the CPU integrated Graphics.

So if you have a CPU with integrated graphics you can use the board port. If you don't the board just won't output a signal and you have to use a GPU.

the cpu i was thinking of using is the amd ryzen 5 3600....does this have it

No it does not. The only Ryzen CPU with integrated graphics has a "G" after the number. Like the 3400G.

AMD is pretty meh in that department. I would recommend you get the 3600 and a GPU.

Or go for the 3400G or wait for the next AMD CPU with integrated graphics that is yet to be released.

Last edited:
Reactions: CountMike
Solution

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
question.....how to know if a CPU has this "graphics" capability? i thought that you bought a cpu and that the MOB also had to have some sort of on board grphics......is this wrong as well?

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
this is what i found online somewhere............i am confused a little:

"Onboard Graphics also means integrated graphics. It means that the graphics (video) component of your system is combined (integrated) i.e. built-in on your motherboard. This removes the need to install a seperate graphics card into the system. "

from the above it sounds like its the MOB that dictates this onboard graphics

this is what i found online somewhere............i am confused a little:

"Onboard Graphics also means integrated graphics. It means that the graphics (video) component of your system is combined (integrated) i.e. built-in on your motherboard. This removes the need to install a seperate graphics card into the system. "

from the above it sounds like its the MOB that dictates this onboard graphics

Re-read what I said. Motherboard does not have integrated graphics. The motherboard does have the graphics port and the circuitry BUT the actually integrated graphics processor is INSIDE the CPU and only CPU's with integrated graphics.

Yes. Motherboards had integrated graphics on the board and not the CPU but that's like 20 years ago.

"All computers come with a CPU, and in the early days of computing, it handled all the graphics (which at the time were very basic) together with the motherboard. ... Machines without cards had so-called "integrated" graphics, meaning the graphics-processing power was built into the CPU or the motherboard"

in this google answer the "Or the motherboard" doesn't apply anymore and can only be in the CPU.

The best AMD CPU with integrated graphics right now is the Ryzen 3400G and that's Vega 11 graphics. Vega 11 is better than Intel UHD Graphics 630 graphics integrated on their CPU at the moment.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue_FdQgxqS0

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqI8vA7J7V4

Last edited:

welchs101

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
i re-read what you said and i guess i am even more confused now.

when a MOB says it has integrated graphics what does this mean? is this a necessary thing if i dont want to have an external GPU? If i dont want to buy an external GPU because i am only going to run internet and office applications on a computer how do i know what CPU's will have this graphics capability......and does this CPU need to be paired up with a MOB that has integrated graphics?

from what you're saying .......it all comes from the CPU......is this right? again, if it all comes from the CPU how to know which CPU's require an external GPU and which ones dont?

when a MOB says it has integrated graphics what does this mean? is this a necessary thing if i dont want to have an external GPU? If i dont want to buy an external GPU because i am only going to run internet and office applications on a computer how do i know what CPU's will have this graphics capability......and does this CPU need to be paired up with a MOB that has integrated graphics?

from what you're saying .......it all comes from the CPU......is this right? again, if it all comes from the CPU how to know which CPU's require an external GPU and which ones dont?

"when a MOB says it has integrated graphics what does this mean? "

It just means it has a way to take the CPU integrated graphics and output a signal to your monitor. The CPU has the integrated graphics and the motherboard just output the signal. So when you see a motherboard that says "Integrated graphics" it just means it can output a signal IF you have a CPU with integrated graphics. By the way all motherboards do that now.

ALL AMD CPU WITH A "G" after the number. Like 2400G, 3400G. No G = No integrated graphics. So a Ryzen 3600 does not have integrated graphics and won't display anything through the motherboard graphics connectors.

B550 Motherboards does not support the 3400G CPU by the way. For that CPU you will need a B450 board.

B450 board + 3400G would do the trick for you. Like a B450 Tomahawk MAX and the 3400G. It's an office system afterall right?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021

For intel , tail letter "F" in chip name means <Mod Edit> graphic , it can not output vedio stream to your monitor(like 10600kf / 10400f / 9600f etc.)
the i3 / i5 / i7 / i9 / pentium series that chip name without "F" all have integrated graphic ( maybe most of them )

For AMD , tail letter "G" means graphic contained (like 3200g / 3400g / 4750g etc.)
Just choose them based on your needs

if the chip already has integrated graphics , you can add an external graphic card or not
if the chip doesnt have integrated graphics , you must get an external graphic to start the system

B450 / B550 chipset motherboard + 3200g / 3400g / 2400g will do your job well
H410 / B460 motherboard + 10100 / 10400 / 10700 also fine choice
athlon 200ge + A320 if you wanna lower the budget
g5905 + H410 if you are an intel fan and seeking a cheap solution

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW - graphics card can be called external only, if it is connected externally - meaning outside pc case.
There are thunderbolt connected external graphics card enclosures.

Normal graphics card (inside pc case) - is called discrete (not external).

VisionTrek_Thunderbolt3_GPU.jpeg