How to Tell If Your ThinkPad is Affected by Battery Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ioki

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
my x200's battery part code is 42T4695, yet both automated and the manual URL process responds with, "not part of recall"

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
My x121e is not affected and yea they are old but I see myself using this laptop for a couple of years still, mainly because it functions fine for my use which is just watching some video and browsing the web when I am on vacation. At home I use my desktop.

HerbertOrton

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
Though there hasn't been any reported injuries as a result of these malfunctioning batteries, the CPSC did say Lenovo has received two reports of the battery packs overheating resulting in damage to the computer, battery pack, and nearby property. http://qr.net/rtcX

These models are beyond old, no one uses these models anymore.
Speak for yourself. I bought a 2009 model 410 from a work surplus sale for $150US a couple of years ago. It's the older C2D chipset, but I stuck in an old 256GB SSD and 4GB RAM laying around, and installed an extra copy of Win7 64 I had and it flies. It sits right next to my gaming PC for general use (such as looking up walk-through hints when I'm stuck in a campaign for example).

And yeah like others I'm disappointed my battery is not recalled. Could use a new one indeed.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
your crazy, the 14"r listed was just sold on Woot's Front page last week. There are tons of these in the enterprise market. They are solid, and many have been upgraded with a SSD. Thanks to the durable chassis, they are hero laptops.

Spac3nerd

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
They may be somewhat old but they are by no means beyond their useful life. Some laptops can easily see 10+ years of service, not only for individuals but for businesses. Claiming that a computer which is older than three years is somehow useless is beyond ignorant. Even the ISS still uses Thinkpads from the late90's/early 2000's. I have no problem running my personal sever off of a 13+ years old Thinkpad T21. I know that you have to justify perpetually purchasing the latest hardware, but please keep your misguided opinions about obsolescence to yourself.

shovenose2

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Would like to report that I didn't need it so I just sold my ThinkPad T410 (i5 Quad Core, 6GB RAM, 160GB 7200RPM HDD, Win7 Pro x64) to a friend for two bills because he needed a laptop for live performances and he's super duper happy with it.

So whoever said that a laptop that's like what, 3-4 years old? Is not useful for anybody is pretty damn spoiled and purely wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.