Question How to tell WAP using same SSID as router is functioning?

GoatWm

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
I’ve recently set up a Tplink ax21 as a WAP to my tplink ax55 router with both devices using the same SDID, same PW, and same wireless security. The WAP is hardwired to the ax55 using port 1 of each device.

The wap has a static IP, uses the IP for the ax55 as it’s gateway, and has DHCP turned off in favor of providing DHCP from the ax55.

My research in using the same SSID between WAPs and a main router indicates that this configuration should work; I’ve been able to access the internet using this concept at many businesses so I know that the idea works. I think that the WAP is working but I can’t tell. Prior to this , my old WAP has its own SSID, PW, security, and served up dhcp on its own subnet allowing me log in to either device and see the clients. The old WAP also used the main router as the gateway. But connecting to PCs across the subnets got messy at times.

How do I confirm that my WAP using the same SSID as the router is functioning? They are physically near the center of the house but on different floors. I couldn’t find any IOS apps that gave me the ability to measure signal strength from a WAP or router in db - most are just speed tests and that’s not what I was looking for to be a signal strength measurement.

Suggestions?

Many thanks

So the best first test is to plug a pc into a ethernet port on "ap". This almost has to work since the AP is running as a simple switch. It will confirm that all the cabling is correct and you do not have something strange.

The IP on the AP pretty much does nothing most the time. You really only need it to configure the AP which most times you never touch after things are working. The key thing is that is does not conflict with the router ip or another device IP.
You really don't need to set any gateway dns etc because the AP itself should never need access outside you local network.

A pc connected to the wifi and then be converted to ethernet and should function the same as your pc you plug directly into the AP. I would temporarily change the SSID so you can force a connection to the AP. I really can't see how this would not work you should be able to tell if the wifi connects and then see if you get DHCP IP from the main router.

Latest posts