How to tell which piece is faulty? (GPU not working)

millgate1

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016
I fell asleep with my PC on and woke up to it turned off. I didn't think much of it so I went and turned it on, no display. Noticed that the lights of the GPU weren't lit and the fans weren't spinning.

I switch to integrated graphics, opened the BIOS and sure enough, the GPU is not detected.

My motherboard only has one PCI-E slot and I only have one video card so I can't test around with that. Everything else powers up fine and I'm sure there is enough wattage (beQuiet! 530w) to power my build, I've been going a year with it. I've tried swapping power cables out of desperation but no luck.

The card is a Sapphire RX470 only a year old. Is there anyway to rule out the motherboard and PSU before I send it for a refund? Problem is even at a full refund I couldn't afford to buy the card back or its equivalent due to the current GPU prices so I would really like to know for sure before I go ahead.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

millgate1

Reputable
Jan 3, 2016

Yes, numerous of times but to no luck. The card has a back plate which hits off of the RAM slots due to the design of the motherboard so it's a tight fit but it has been working up until now and there appears to be no damage to the PCE-I slot or the GPU (Not that I could tell what I damaged PCI-E slot would look like anyway).