[SOLVED] How to test storage capacity of 16TB SSD drive

Jun 21, 2022
I purchased a "High speed 16TB SSD drive" from Walmart's website. I suspect that it is a fake, but need to know how I can test its capacity to see if it will actually hold 16TB of data.

Reactions: viktorhun
Solution
Here are some more links:
That said, the trial version will probably fill up the drive way before its "rated" capacity.
Alternatively, just pop open the plastic enclosure, there is like a USB or MicroSD card inside you can physically identify.

USAFRet

Titan
Link to this sale, please.

Is it a fake?
Unless it was $2500 or more...it is a fake.

How to test?
Upload 13 of actual data.
Copy to this...not 'move' from some other drive.

Wait until tomorrow.

Now, Copy that whole 13 off to some other storage platform.
Do ALL the files actually read correctly?

Colif

Win 11 Master
$44 lol. The size of the drive in picture is too small to be an ssd.

review on link
Looks good, physical and data size nice. Transfer rate is horrible at 15mb/s Started adding files and after two days of intermediately adding files, I found that most of the files wound up disappearing
Yep, its fake and slow.

this is not a real 16tb ssd... it only contains 48gb and istead of being an ssd kind... its just an unbranded micro sd card mounted on a pcboard

Price is double this one - https://www.zdnet.com/article/i-bought-a-16tb-external-m-2-ssd-for-20-and-got-what-i-deserved/
size in article more believable but still only had SD Cards in it. Its common, spoof the controller into thinking its way bigger.

if you want an external ssd, buy a caddy and buy an ssd and make it yourself, it will be real then.

the only 16tb external ssd I can find are all fakes. Its pretty obvious when a real 4tb ssd costs over $1k AUD and I see 16tb ones for $40

I can see why you would think its a bargain when a real one... if it exists, costs several thousand.

Last edited:
In addition to the above the real 16TB external drives are based on 2.5 inch ssds so nothing that small could approach that capacity. They would need to squeeze 16 1TB microSD cards into an enclosure along with supporting electronics to create a smaller 16TB drive.

Colif

Win 11 Master
In addition to the above the real 16TB external drives are based on 2.5 inch ssds so nothing that small could approach that capacity. They would need to squeeze 16 1TB microSD cards into an enclosure along with supporting electronics to create a smaller 16TB drive.

There are so many of these things, wonder if a factory just set up to make controller chips that are designed to lie. It seems too much work for them to not predesign it, manually adjusting chips by the million would take time/money.

They all look the same, I guessed what it looked like before clicking link. Its only just bigger than a USB which is an alert. I wonder what biggest size flash memory chip is now

12tb seems like a strange drive size but then I see the real Seagate 18tb hdd.

An 80tb ssd would cost me $42k. Why do that when I can just buy... several 16tb ssd from Walmart??
https://www.tgav.au/product/cloud-s...25oU9NXPb4Sjz7HGJYOvhw41j3nNvaGEaAtuKEALw_wcB

Reality is an 16tb drive would cost a lot

The company has now put the prices of its 50TB and 100TB models (either SATA/SAS) online, with the 50TB edition (EDDCT020/EDDCS050) costing $12,500 ($250 per TB) while the 100TB version (EDDCT100/EDDCS100) retailing for $40,000 ($400 per TB).

In comparison, Samsung’s 30.72TB monster, the MZILT30THMLA, retails for $8,860 ($288 per TB)

https://www.techradar.com/au/news/at-100tb-the-worlds-biggest-ssd-gets-an-eye-watering-price-tag

if 30tb costs $8860 I would expect a 16tb to be about 5k

Reactions: dwd999 and lvt

Colif

Win 11 Master
There is nothing of value in the entire process. its make them as cheap as possible and advertise them as being on special to produce fear of missing out. Vast majority of people don't know actual prices so it takes them in and they may not ever use it enough to notice its not what it advertises self out. Put enough storage on there so most people don't complain.

if they never used a fast USB drive before, they may not know they missing out. My 256gb USB drive does 300mb/s. If an ssd were slower I would question it.

Wonder who you can buy real USB/ssd from now, many of the online sites are not trustworthy. Perhaps real PC shops... depends. I can think of a few I wouldn't use.

Jun 21, 2022
Once should be highly suspicious when someone is claiming to sell hundred-dollar bills for one dollar.
Indeed. I tried to cancel the order but didn't see a reply from the vendor in time to prevent it being shipped. So, I decided to test it after getting it and informing Walmart of the results. They really shouldn't be offering items like this that are obviously fake.

That said, the trial version will probably fill up the drive way before its "rated" capacity.
Alternatively, just pop open the plastic enclosure, there is like a USB or MicroSD card inside you can physically identify.

Reactions: viktorhun
Solution
Jun 21, 2022
Thanks. I'll try looking inside when it arrives. If it contains an SD card, etc. that will save me some time. I appreciate the link to the other tools.

USAFRet

Titan
Indeed. I tried to cancel the order but didn't see a reply from the vendor in time to prevent it being shipped. So, I decided to test it after getting it and informing Walmart of the results. They really shouldn't be offering items like this that are obviously fake.
Walmart, Amazon, Newegg....they all have this problem.

It is the 3rd party sellers that are doing it, just using their space as the place to sell.

Not much different than fleabay.

Jun 21, 2022
Walmart, Amazon, Newegg....they all have this problem.

It is the 3rd party sellers that are doing it, just using their space as the place to sell.

Not much different than fleabay.
And don't forget about Amazon. They have an abundance of totally fake stuff. I've sent them complaints but all they seem to care about is the money.