[SOLVED] How to Transfer a Few Files From Laptop to Desktop

SuzeC

Commendable
Jan 31, 2021
I have an old laptop I haven't used in many years. It has Win 7 installed on it. Before I wipe the hard drive and get rid of it I'd like to see if there are any files on it I'd want to save to my HP Ryzen desktop with Win 10.

However, the monitor part of the laptop stopped functioning years ago for some reason - the laptop was barely, rarely used. So I'm going to have to connect it to my desktop, just to look at and maybe tranfer a few files.

My questions are:

is Win 10 backward compatible with any Win 7 files , like Word?

What sort of cable do I need? Will an ordinary USB cable do or will I have to use a data transfer cable? I wouldn't be moving massive amounts of data, maybe even none, and data transfer cables aren't cheap, especially for a one-time use. What are my cable options?

Thanks

Solution
The thing about getting the enclosure is that I don't know if there is anything on the laptop I want to keep.
You don't need any of those enclosures. Just a regular sata data cable and connect drive to your desktop.
That's it.

1577635722035.png

Sata power cable should be available from your PSU. Power cable needs to be connected too.

image.jpg
You need a sata to usb converter, your best choice is to get a box for an external sata 2.5" hdd/ssd they start pretty cheap. Search for -2.5"external enclosure-
All files are compatible if you still use the same version of software you used back then (for word and the like) and for 7 they should still be compatible even with a newer version of word, it's not THAAAAAT old.

SuzeC

Commendable
Jan 31, 2021
You need a sata to usb converter, your best choice is to get a box for an external sata 2.5" hdd/ssd they start pretty cheap. Search for -2.5"external enclosure-
All files are compatible if you still use the same version of software you used back then (for word and the like) and for 7 they should still be compatible even with a newer version of word, it's not THAAAAAT old.

SATA is the only option? I just want to transfer a small Word doc or two. That seems like using an UZI to kill a gnat. :unsure:

SuzeC

Commendable
Jan 31, 2021
Files are compatible.
ex: MyResume.doc.

But not the Word application. You can't move that.

I don't want to move Word. Only a few files I might have in Word. I haven't had this laptop booted up in years, I can't remember anything at all that's on it. I wanted to go exploring, maybe move some jpg files and some Word docs.

SuzeC

Commendable
Jan 31, 2021
Depends on the drive. What model is it?

If it's an ordinary sata 2.5"drive then you just need a sata data cable to connect it to your desktop pc.
Sata power cable should be available from PSU of the desktop.

It's OLD. Like maybe from the mid-2000s. It's a German make, a Medion. Super nice laptop that I thought I might revive, reformat or update the OS and pass it on to someone else.

SuzeC

Commendable
Jan 31, 2021
It's a moot point now , it won't boot up using the AC adapter. I'm sure the CMOS battery is long dead.

I'm in the U.S. and there probably isn't anyone here within a hundred miles that works on or knows Medions.

USAFRet

Titan
I don't want to move Word. Only a few files I might have in Word. I haven't had this laptop booted up in years, I can't remember anything at all that's on it. I wanted to go exploring, maybe move some jpg files and some Word docs.
Sure.
Any new Word version can, in some form or fashion, open a Word file from last century. Or anything in between.
Really.

jpg is universal.

SATA is the only option? I just want to transfer a small Word doc or two. That seems like using an UZI to kill a gnat. :unsure:
If the laptop doesn't work you have to connect the drive to your PC, there is nothing else you can do.
Open up the drive trapdoor on the bottom of the laptop and get the drive out you can look up images of ide and sata on the net to figure out what kind of drive it is, it should be sata but there is a very small chance that it might be ide.
(2012 should be 100% sata)
Enclosures start at $6 on newegg, I doubt you can find any alternative much cheaper than that.
https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100008040 600006255&Order=1

SuzeC

Commendable
Jan 31, 2021
SerialATA=SATA

Did you look at the link? A enclosure is a little box with a sata connector that can fit a small laptop disk and has a usb port to connect to the PC.

I did look at the link but I really didn't understand what they were for. I am a female and almost 80 so I don't know much about newer computer components. I I spend money on the laptop I would rather it goes toward getting the whole thing up and running like it's supposed to.

I I spend money on the laptop I would rather it goes toward getting the whole thing up and running like it's supposed to.
I'm in the U.S. and there probably isn't anyone here within a hundred miles that works on or knows Medions.
You just need anybody (good) that repairs laptops, all laptop makers use standard off the shelve components that are readily available.
Repairing a broken screen can cost hundreds of dollars even if it doesn't need a new screen, having additional issues like not starting up at all anymore could add to that.
On the other hand it could just be a couple of simple thing that can be repaired cheaply, just opening up a laptop and accessing the damage is time consuming though so good advice is difficult to get in this situation, you could ask them to give you a cost estimate but even that is going to cost some money.

Getting a $6 box for the laptop disk will allow you to get your files and use that old disk as storage on your current PC.

SuzeC

Commendable
Jan 31, 2021
Thank you for the in-depth response, I appreciate it.

The thing about getting the enclosure is that I don't know if there is anything on the laptop I want to keep. I do want to erase/reformat the hard drive before disposing of it in any way. It's a beautiful high-end laptop and should be in working condition for someone. I don't need it myself but I like keep nice things nice.

I'll use Yelp and try to find someone local to me with good reviews who can dig into it.

How many internal batteries does it have?

jonbuder

Commendable
May 3, 2020
You don't need any of those enclosures. Just a regular sata data cable and connect drive to your desktop.
That's it.

Sata power cable should be available from your PSU. Power cable needs to be connected too.

I think she might be hesitant to open up her newer desktop, and buying the regular SATA cable might be almost as much as a cheaper SATA enclosure or SATA to USB adapter.

Thank you for the in-depth response, I appreciate it.

The thing about getting the enclosure is that I don't know if there is anything on the laptop I want to keep. I do want to erase/reformat the hard drive before disposing of it in any way. It's a beautiful high-end laptop and should be in working condition for someone. I don't need it myself but I like keep nice things nice.

I'll use Yelp and try to find someone local to me with good reviews who can dig into it.

How many internal batteries does it have?

The enclosure or SATA to USB adapter would allow you to erase/reformat the drive.

A lot of people when selling a used computer just don't include the hard drive, and they either reuse them or destroy them to be sure the data is gone.

I would recommend removing the hard drive from the non-working laptop, then trying to sell the laptop without it. Frankly, I think you will be very disappointed by how much you'll be able to get for it, but even if it were in full working order a 10-year-old laptop will be worth a fraction of its original price.

When you get around to it, you can either buy the enclosure/SATA to USB adapter, or find somebody to pay to get the files off for you. If you aren't comfortable using the enclosure or adapter, or willing to pay someone to get the files off, at least you know someone isn't out there misusing your files.

SuzeC

Commendable
Jan 31, 2021
That's it.

1577635722035.png

image.jpg
That's great! Does it plug into an exterior port?

If the power adapter cable is plugged in and there is no life at all showing from the laptop will it still work?

If the power adapter cable is plugged in and there is no life at all showing from the laptop will it still work?
To be clear, you will have to remove the drive from the non working laptop, with either method.
The only way to get your files without removing the disk would be to repair the laptop and even then, if the old windows is protected and you forgot the credentials then you wont be able to get into your old windows.

So, our advice is, try to connect the old disk to your current PC either with an enclosure or directly with a sata cable and try to get your files.
After that you can decide to put the disk back and try to repair the laptop or give it away or whatever you want to do.