Question How to transfer all my stuff?

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hey everyone,
I'm changing out my Mobo AND getting a bigger SSD. What's the easiest way to transfer all my data/files from the smaller SSD to the new one. I know I could use Clonezilla if I was just changing the SSD. But since I'm changing out the mobo as well. How do I transfer all my stuff?

Thanks!

the transmission will require a fresh OS install for the new motherboard.

so you will have to save/backup all of your personal files that may reside on that disk to another location.

for specific applications and other personal settings you would need to make a backup of;
C:\ProgramData
C:\Users\...

an easier method may be to just backup the entire drive and then overwrite those personal configuration files and/or specific files as they are accessed,
but it may be difficult for some to determine what actually needs to be replaced.

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I thought maybe there would be an easier way. I know I'll have to Install a fresh copy of windows on the new drive. Then I can just plug the old hard drive in with the new one and copy the files for one drive to another. I just thought maybe there was some app like clonezilla. Oh well. Thanks anyway.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah just connect drive later and copy your stuff across. There's time spent doing a sort of clone anyway then transfering that. Copying between two ssds won't take long and afterwards format old ssd and use it as secondary storage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts