Question How to transfer all my stuff ?

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hey everyone,
I'm changing out my Mobo AND getting a larger capacity SSD. What's the easiest way to transfer all my data/files from the smaller SSD to the new one? I know I could use Clonezilla if I was just changing the SSD, but since I'm changing out the mobo as well, how do I transfer all my stuff?

Thanks!

the transmission will require a fresh OS install for the new motherboard.

so you will have to save/backup all of your personal files that may reside on that disk to another location.

for specific applications and other personal settings you would need to make a backup of;
C:\ProgramData
C:\Users\...

an easier method may be to just backup the entire drive and then overwrite those personal configuration files and/or specific files as they are accessed,
but it may be difficult for some to determine what actually needs to be replaced.

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I thought maybe there would be an easier way. I know I'll have to Install a fresh copy of Windows on the new drive. Then I can just plug the old hard drive in with the new one and copy the files from one drive to the other. I just thought maybe there was some app like clonezilla. Oh well. Thanks anyway.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks Boju, I will do just that!
MUCH easier to copy that data first, rather than connecting the old drive.

Reason - You will run into permission issues. The user Libraries in the old OS are tied to the old user. Yes, you can 'Take Ownership', but much easier to prevent that step to begin with.

Just copy the data (not the Libraries) to a flash drive or external something.
Then, when the new system is built up and running, copy it to the relevant locations.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The additional benefit of copying the data to an external drive is that it will result in you having a backup for your files, because from your post, it sounds an awful lot like your personal files exist only on the one drive.

TRENDING THREADS