Question How to transfer data folders and files from broken PC to new PC? Help!

Sep 13, 2019
Hi, so a few days ago I finished using my PC and shut down as normal. Next morning my PC won’t power up. No noise, no fan movement, nothing. I get a techy over who tests everything and he states my motherboard is totally fried. Looking at all my options I decide to buy a brand new machine as current one was five years old anyway. New PC is arriving soon and I don’t want to put my old SSD and main storage hard drives into my new machine. So what would you suggest is my best option to get the data off my old drives on to the new ones? I’m hoping there is a usb hardware device I can plug into the new machine, insert the old drives into that and then just take what I like to the new pc. What do you think? Thanks so much for your time and any advice. To be clear, I’m really not confident with PC’s etc so the easiest option for someone rather clueless to transfer data would be great.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
61nPTh91jtL._SL1125_.jpg

example only not an endorsement shop around.
external drive docks that can house standard drives and SSDs are my preferred external solution.
if you have an M.2 SSD external enclosures are available for them too.

the free solution is to install the drive into the new system . import the drives if needed, and copy the data off at your leisure. when you are satisfied you have all the data needed you can remove the drives or leave them installed and format them for extra storage. more storage is more storage after all. this assumes new system is not a laptop. if a laptop external docks are the only solution available

Sep 13, 2019
Thanks, an external drive dock definitely looks like it might be the ideal solution for me as I really don’t want to open up the new machine. Very helpful, thanks, I’ll get looking for one.