[SOLVED] How to transfer data from old HDD to new HDD and M.2 SSD

Dec 10, 2019
So I am upgrading from a pretty old 1TB HDD to a 2TB HDD and a 500GB M.2 SSD. I haven't been able to find a really good explanation on how to transfer the data. I want my OS and some games on my M.2 while having the rest of my data on my HDD. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
So I am upgrading from a pretty old 1TB HDD to a 2TB HDD and a 500GB M.2 SSD. I haven't been able to find a really good explanation on how to transfer the data. I want my OS and some games on my M.2 while having the rest of my data on my HDD. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.
  1. You can't (easily) transfer "the OS and some games". Cloning does not work with the concept of "some".
  2. You likely have far more data space consumed than will transfer to a 500GB drive. (see #1)
  3. Cloning from SATA to NVMe can be problematic, even when everything else is perfect (which it is not in this case).

Strongly suggest a clean install of your OS on the new M.2 drive.
Then we can probably move things around as desired.

USAFRet

Titan
  1. You can't (easily) transfer "the OS and some games". Cloning does not work with the concept of "some".
  2. You likely have far more data space consumed than will transfer to a 500GB drive. (see #1)
  3. Cloning from SATA to NVMe can be problematic, even when everything else is perfect (which it is not in this case).

Strongly suggest a clean install of your OS on the new M.2 drive.
Then we can probably move things around as desired.

Solution