How to transfer files back to my laptop from my external hard drive

Jacqueslefoot

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Recently my laptop crashed beyond repair, and has had to be rebuilt. It now operates on Windows 7. Luckily I had backed up some important files onto a portable external Lacie Hardrive. I now need to return some of the files back to the laptop so that I can use them..but I can't seem to find a way to do it!! I suppose I'm just being 'thick'..but can anyone tell me how to do it.
Thank you.

Solution
Assuming its a USB drive, when you plug it in it should appear as an available HD when you click on "Computer". Double-click on the external drive to open up WIndows explorer for that drive. Do the same for the "C" drive on your computer.

By dragging and dropping you can then copy stuff from your external drive to your C drive.

How did you back up your files to the Lacie drive in the first place?
Assuming its a USB drive, when you plug it in it should appear as an available HD when you click on "Computer". Double-click on the external drive to open up WIndows explorer for that drive. Do the same for the "C" drive on your computer.

By dragging and dropping you can then copy stuff from your external drive to your C drive.

How did you back up your files to the Lacie drive in the first place?

Solution